The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $tcount - Line: 717 - File: portal.php PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/portal.php 717 errorHandler->error_callback
Warning [2] Undefined variable $tcount - Line: 722 - File: portal.php PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/portal.php 722 errorHandler->error_callback

Welcome, Guest
You have to register before you can post on our site.

Username

Password

(Advanced Search)

Forum Statistics
» Members: 3,160
» Latest member: fmorrison
» Forum threads: 7,959
» Forum posts: 97,616

Full Statistics

Latest Threads
Oil Pressure Gauge Proble...
Forum: Forum chat...
Last Post: David Stepney
28 minutes ago
» Replies: 24
» Views: 700
Modified Cam Followers
Last Post: Terrytuned
5 hours ago
» Replies: 31
» Views: 1,306
Finished my special
Last Post: Charles Levien
5 hours ago
» Replies: 11
» Views: 329
What have you done today ...
Last Post: Tony Griffiths
10 hours ago
» Replies: 6,368
» Views: 1,375,591
Trials Tyres 2
Last Post: David Cochrane
Yesterday, 04:15 PM
» Replies: 20
» Views: 2,157
self compensating brakes
Last Post: Charles P
13-09-2024, 02:52 PM
» Replies: 1
» Views: 140
Building my first Austin ...
Last Post: Reckless Rat
13-09-2024, 02:10 PM
» Replies: 272
» Views: 16,483
Just wondering
Last Post: Reckless Rat
13-09-2024, 01:22 PM
» Replies: 6
» Views: 356
reputable car transportat...
Last Post: Ian Wegg
13-09-2024, 08:05 AM
» Replies: 4
» Views: 207
Wing Screw Thread ?
Last Post: Robert Leigh
12-09-2024, 09:41 PM
» Replies: 5
» Views: 245

Engine mount rubbers
Posted by: Reckless Rat - 20-08-2017, 05:39 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (4)

Due to my car's propensity to share the contents of the sump to the world at large, the engine mounting rubbers do not fare well and swell and split.

Does anyone supply a synthetic replacement, otherwise known as a polybush? If not I might just buy some poly bar and turn myself a few. The worst affected appear to the the top rubber doughnuts.

Print this item

A7 universal joints
Posted by: Ian Robert - 20-08-2017, 05:22 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (7)

Hi 
After at last getting my A7 Ruby (1937) running again after a long rest I manouvered it on the drive and broke a half shaft.
Removing the axle seems reasonably straightforward and I am following the advice to leave the torque tube attached and disconnect the rear universal joint.
On examination it seems that unbolting would be very fiddly and long winded as there is little room to manoeuvre.An easier solution seems to be to remove the circlips from one of th UVjoint "pins" .
Looking at some old service books it appears that it may have needle roller bearings which if they are not in a cage could be difficult to keep together in which case I will have to remove the bolts
Am I missing something or is there an easy way.
Hopefully somebody will say yes and tell me

Ian

Print this item

12v electronic regulator
Posted by: John Tindle - 20-08-2017, 05:20 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (3)

Hi all,
Before I go any further, I must add that I am not an electrician! However, I have almost finished a complete restoration of my Gordon England Cup (started 5 years ago). I have just finished the re-wiring, using armoured cable at great expense (!). During the restoration the dynamo and voltage regulator went away to be refurbished (I can't remember the guy's name, but I believe he's well known) The dynamo was fitted with a new armature and was converted to 12 volts, it also now has an electronic regulator.
My question is; when I turn the ignition on (coil engine) the amp meter shows maximum charge without the engine running. What, if anything have I done wrong?

Print this item

Midshires Meetings 17-08-2017
Posted by: A7JoJo - 20-08-2017, 04:27 PM - Forum: Events - Replies (4)

Starts: 17-08-2017

Midshires Meetings

PWA7C Midshires Group

Meets third Thursday at the White Horse, Station Road, Broughton Astley LE9 6PT

Can you please tell me if Midshires Meeting in Broughton Astley has stopped running?
I have tried three times this year and no one turned up .
Many thanks, Colin.

Print this item

1938 Austin 7 History and restoration
Posted by: 1938austin7 - 20-08-2017, 03:01 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (7)

1938 Austin 7      Geoff Hall

This 1938 Austin 7 started its working life being registered to Wilbur Walker, at the Police Station in Dimboola Victoria.  I’m not sure if it was the pursuit vehicle, or just his mode of transport to get to and from work, but I like the idea of it being used in high speed (35-40mph) chases through the country roads of Victoria.

In 1951, it made its way to Melbourne where it spent some time in Bentleigh, Caulfield, Black rock and Thornbury, before my father took it on as his first car in Ivanhoe Victoria. 

He drove around in it with his mates who also had Austin 7’s in similar states of disrepair, but they all had great fun.  Especially with the windscreen folded down for less wind resistance. 

One day the car almost fell over but my Dad’s sailing friend new which way to lean, and with the suicide door popping open, and pirouetting the car, they managed to stay the right way up.

On another adventure, the front wheels got stuck in the tram lines and the car steered itself into a nearby depot.
During this time, Dad also bought a spare Austin 7, but after a couple of years, he upgraded to a Ford Cortina and the Austins started resting at my grandparent’s house.

As the car was taking up too much space, it was dismantled for easier storage, with a view to restore it. One day my father found out that his ‘spare’ Austin 7 had been taken to the tip, so he hurried over to pick up the good one before my grandfather disposed of it.

Dad shifted the car in a double horse float to his friend Otto’s farm.  The car sat in a hay shed for a few years before moving again.

The car then followed dad to his new family home in Canterbury, where under the house, the floor pan, steering wheel and other parts became a playground for his young sons and daughter.

That’s when we started talking about restoring the Austin 7. When I was 5 I brought one of the wheels to school for show and tell...and later, Dad said “Maybe when you’re 14 we can start restoring it”.

That didn’t happen, but all of the parts went to a new family home in Belgrave, when I was 19, so the dream of restoring the car was still alive, though the reality seemed a long way off.

I picked the car up from Dad in 2005. A friend helped me unload the bits and pieces and could not believe I was going to turn them into a car.

I joined the Melbourne Austin 7 club and the Canberra Antique and Classic Motor club where I met up with some Austin 7 owners. 
I didn’t do much for the first few years, - Children came along, and house renovations but I kept at it and 8 years later got it registered.
I did a lot of it myself welding, rust repairs, new woodwork, and some painting.  Most of the mechanical parts were sourced from a half restored Austin 7 that I bought along the way. 

Eight years later, and a lot of late nights in the garage, the car was registered just as it reached a couple of milestones, it had just turned 75, and in December 2013, it was 50 years since my father took ownership of it.

Not long after it was on the road, a brother of the original owner came across the car's story on the internet via my club website, and by pure chance, another brother was in Canberra so dad and I took the car to show him and take him for a ride.   

.jpg   IMAG0668.jpg (Size: 51.05 KB / Downloads: 298)

[attachment=255]

Print this item

The Special in my Photographs
Posted by: Alan - 20-08-2017, 02:15 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (2)

I bought this special, derelict from a shed in Derby in 1975, it was interesting in that the engine number in the log book was that of a works BlownUlster. However, that engine wasn't there (I'd love it back!), and we thought no more about that. I got the car going and used it to some good effect in PWA7C and VSCC Trials for several years. Then one day I got a phone call. It was from a chap called Ray Cutler (no, not that one) and he owned my car before the war....
I was preparing him for the fact that it was a 50s special, when he asked about the blown engine. He lived in Colwyn Bay, about 70 miles away, so I took it to see him the next day, and got a remarkable history.

My car had started life as a standard 1926  Chummy, registered to the NATSOPA Memorial Home beside Nuneaton, however in 1929 or so it was sold to one, GF Horan, who lived in Hagley, West Midlands.
The first competition record I can find is that GF Horan drove in the 1929 Colmore Cup Trial, He won a Gold, and together with JG Orton and FS Barnes, took the Team Trophy. After this, it appears that  Ben Cutler, who owned Central Garage in Hagley, was commissioned to rebody the car, to the style shown in the pre-war photographs. At this time Ulster running gear and the blown engine were fitted. The next outing I can find is JM Horan (GF's brother) drove it in the 1931 Gloucester Trial, and in 1933 GF drove in the Edinburgh, Lands End and Colmore. After this, things did not go well. Something broke which caused the blower to be removed, although the rest of the blown engine remained. After this, the Horans moved on to MGs and then Singers. The Austin passed to Cutler’s nephew, Raymond Cutler, who competed in various trials in North Wales and NW England until about 1948.  From then, it passed into the hands of the late David Rees (of 750MC fame, and a good friend, incidentally) it was he who boxed the chassis and fitted tubular cross members in 1952. Then through several owners until I obtained it in 1976, without the works engine, and wearing what turns out to have been a mk1 Rochdale body.
It is remarkable that this car has known competition history in each of the last 9 decades.

All Prewar photographs[attachment=240][attachment=240]
.jpg   Cutler Special 10.jpg (Size: 63.75 KB / Downloads: 271)

Same car Rebodied, John Rees, (Dave;s Brother) at Silverstonss circa 1952

.jpg   Donington.jpg (Size: 125.67 KB / Downloads: 258)
Me, at Donington in 1977, and on a trials hill sometime in the late 90's

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Print this item

1938 Austin 7 Dual Purpose roadster
Posted by: 1938austin7 - 20-08-2017, 02:15 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (2)

Hi all,  based on the advertisements from the day, I assume my car is a Dual Purpose roadster.  What is your interpretation of the dual purpose?

My car is slightly different on the scuttle and door shape so must have been a different body builder.

Print this item

Starter motor not turning engine
Posted by: 1938austin7 - 20-08-2017, 01:58 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (7)

Hello,

I have a starter motor that would spin, but not engage the engine.  It was working fine a few months ago but the last time I tried to start the car (before pulling the engine apart) it wouldn't turn the engine at all.

Anyone had a similar problem, and solutions would be greatly appreciated.  I want it working again when I get the engine back together. (1938 Austin 7)

Thanks

Geoff

Print this item

News from 19th of August
Posted by: Management - 19-08-2017, 09:56 PM - Forum: What's new or coming up... - No Replies

- automated emails now work on account activation and contact page, and should work even on password reset requests.
If encountering any problems, contact us...  Big Grin

- calendar and event threat work (great (!)), thanks to Timothy P for bringing it up and investing time researching, how to readjust the scripts to get it to work with our board.

- security update will be conducted end of next week, we will keep you informed via an anouncement.

Kind regards

Print this item

Lucas 12V cut out
Posted by: Erich - 19-08-2017, 09:48 PM - Forum: Forum chat... - Replies (2)

Hi All,

My car(Ulster rep) has been converted to 12 v using a Morris Minor 1000 cut out. The car is physically in the UK(I'm in Seattle) and realized I'm not sure if it is fused. Looking at what I think is the same cut out on Ebay, it appears that there is a single fuse under the cover. Is this correct and is this all I need, or should I consider a separate fuse block? In photos of original Sevens, which are obviously 6V, there appear to be two covers, one for the cut out and I assume the other for a fuse block. Will one fuse answer my needs, or should I try to find a 12V cut out that has a fuse block under a separate cover?

Erich

Print this item