The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stripped thread oilway blanking plug
Yes I have experience of Dowty washers. Thanks for suggestion both. I will try the ptfe tape and fibre washer today and take it from there.

Thanks everyone
I had a similar problem a few years ago, oversize brass plugs are available from suppliers, I did the work with the block in-situ and carefully re-tapped the hole, I used grease on the tap to collect the swarf and it was a success, but there is not much room to work with the block in place, but with care it can be done.

As a temporary fix, you could use liquid PTFE and just glue the plug in place, you would not need a fibre washer, so might get an extra thread to hold onto, once cured, it should be firmly held & should not leak.
Thanks Gary - As it is the front plug it is difficult to get at - the back one less so, that's sods law isn't. Once I start stripping things off the engine block to get at the offending hole, I just know there are other tappings best left alone until a major rebuild. If the brass plugs are oversize, what thread is the tapping?

I see Liquid ptfe can be had at Screwfix and the listing sounds just the job. I don't know how all these liquid solutions (pun not intended) compare. Obviously Loctite have various colours and various numbers as well. If my ptfe tape and fibre washer don't stand tomorrow's run. ( I am taking a supply of ptfe tape and washers with me as insurance). I will try the Liquid PTFE next.
Good luck tomorrow Dave. My experience with these sort of problems is if you go prepared with extra washes etc like you are doing all will go well.. it’s when these things are left in the garage you find you need them.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(20-04-2024, 04:11 PM)John Mason Wrote: Good luck tomorrow Dave. My experience with these sort of problems is if you go prepared with extra washes etc like you are doing all will go well.. it’s when these things are left in the garage you find you need them.

John Mason.

There speaks a man of bitter experience.

Thanks all for your help

Cheers

Dave
For all those of you on the edge of your seat wondering whether I got to Draycott in the Clay without mishap (stop sniggering at the back). The PTFE tape and new washer held up well for the return trip. 

Alice is leaking from near the tappet chest - and I have invested in the silicon gasket. It might be out of the breather holes?? That's tomorrow's job!!!

Thanks to all for the advice

Cheers

Dave