The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Stripped thread oilway blanking plug
The front oilway blanking bolt is leaking badly again. The bolt looks perfect and the threads in crankcase look poor. Not really a surprise is it?  The leak happened about 18 months ago and a new fibre washer and a very gentle turning of the bolt has held until now with regular checking.

I guess that a proper repair will involved heli-coil or similar and will be an engine out job?

Are there any sensible temporary solutions as I want to do the Staffs & Shropshire Spring run on Sunday which is about 100mile round trip? I have heard rumours of copper wire and aluminum foil, but I worry about putting "stuff" down into the oilway!!!

Advice gratefully received as always.
Hi Dave. Am I right in thinking it’s 1/4BSP? If so you might get away with replacing the plug with a BSPT one. Crewe Engineering Supplies should have them - across the roundabout from the retail park in Crewe
Alan Fairless
Hi Alan,

I can't get a good pic of it either end. Here is the bolt which takes a 3/16 Whit spanner and has a staight thread. The bolt section measures appprox 1/4" across the thread as you suggest.

So I guess this 1/4 BSP and the one you suggest getting is a taper version?

I will go to Crewe Engineering Supplies now.

Cheers Alan - see you Sunday all being well.

Dave

Dave. Not the plug I was thinking of. That looks like 1/4 Whit and it’s the oil jet blanking plug.

As a temporary measure what you. Could do is wind order tape around the thread and jam. Cork between the bolt head and the cylinder block.
Alan Fairless
Hi Alan, Sorry my terminology is a bit lacking. Yes it the blanking plug over the oil jets.

It is BSF. We measured at CES with a thread guage. Very helpful guy

Sorry what kind of tape were you suggesting?

I do have fibre washers - will that do?

Cheers

Dave
Sorry it’s spellcheck that should be ptfe tape.

Fibre washers will do fine and if you have a slightly longer screw that might help too
Alan Fairless
I made atemporary fix many years ago by bolting a clutch withdrawal lever on one of the block holding studs. This could go over the oilway plug and hold it in place. It leaked a bit but stayed in.
Jim
CES had some longer bolts - but how far can I go before causing problems below?! They also had stainless steel. I had heard of them but never been in - only 3 miles from home pf course.

I will go with the ptfe tape and fingers crossed Alan. Thanks

I like the lateral thinking Jim. One to keep up my sleeve.
A Dowty bonded washer might well stop the leak as I suspect you are only talking 10 psi oil pressure.
Hi

You could try a Dowty Seal instead of a fibre washer, Metric M6 will fit 1/4 inch OK. For those unfamiliar, this is a thin metal washer with a bonded rubber inner part.

If you prefer to stick with fibre washers, they can be softened a bit by soaking in water. The softening allows a better seal without excess pressure being needed.