The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Crown Wheel Question
Hi Everyone

Apologies for the delayed follow up, I didn't get chance to work on it the weekend before last but I think I have made some good progress this weekend.

Dickie - sorry I have only just seen your reply, I understand what you mean about the blue. I was just keen to make sure I achieved a visible impression with it so I could see what was going on. 

The pictures below show the most recent mesh pattern. I have set the backlash to within spec as per the first pattern test, the only tangible change I have made is to increase the pinion shim size from the original 15 thou to 25 thou. I am a lot happier with this pattern now, as it has moved off the very edge of the teeth and it is contacting more along the length of the teeth.

I'd be interested to know your thoughts.

Thanks

Matthew

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Your recent picture looks very much prferable in my view. I have built a few axles which have turned out to survive well, but there have also been those which were more difficult.
Hi Robert

Thank you, that is reassuring to hear. I think I am going to go with it, it seems to be the best result I can achieve.

Thanks

Matthew
It is a lot better than in your initial pictures, I cant quite see how the pinion is marked but the crown wheel looks good.
Black Art Enthusiast
Thanks Ian.

Sorry the pinion picture isn't the best, I'll try and get a better one this weekend.
I suggest you try bluing the crown wheel only; it will probably give the telltale trace you need on the pinion perfectly well.
Hi Robert

I haven't actually purposefully blued the pinion, I've only ever blued the crown wheel, like you say.

The second picture (albeit poor quality) is the blue that has transferred from the crown wheel, showing the contact pattern. In my inexperienced view it shows good contact on a large surface area of the pinion teeth, not so much towards the bearing end of the teeth which I would have thought is normal.

Thanks

Matthew