The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Routine Maintenance.
Interesting to note that unlike most box saloons, the driver’s door appears to have risen, rather than dropped!
I thought it could be an extinguisher but when zoomed it, it appears to have no handle or nozzle. Could it be a battery holder, similar to that found on a bicycle for a rear lamp auxiliary to the main lights - that said, i cant see any lights!
It's a great photo with good composition and leads me to a lot of interesting thoughts. 
It appears to be just a lad. I wonder if the car is his pride and joy that he scraped and saved to buy. The photo indicates to me that he has some technical knowledge. Perhaps he is an apprentice or recently finished serving his time. 
He seems to be a sensible type who gives appropriate thought to his car maintenance as evidenced by the design of the ramp - having end stops and side rails. It's a lot better than a plank propped up one end by a couple of bricks. 
The car is clean and shiny and so are his shoes. He obviously takes pride in appearances. 
One wonders who took the photo. Obviously someone with photographic skills. It would seem unlikely that a professional photographer was brought in to take such a shot. Who would bother to bring in a professional to take a picture of a lad working under a car in a backyard. I think maybe a proud parent or an interested sibling or perhaps a doting girlfriend who had some camera skill.
I may have completely misinterpreted the scene. Does anyone know the real details. 
Thanks for sharing such an interesting photo.
For me it is a little too perfect.
Car perfectly in shot in showroom condition.
You can see the tool perfectly in shot in his hand, some nice tools at his feet and his face is perfectly in shot. Not a scuff on those perfect shoes, they haven't been worn by anyone scrambling around under a car. Perfectly posed.
I had a friend who sold lots at boot sales and he always said, look at the shoes as it tells you everything.
Finally 2 perfectly laid out sacking bits for him to lay on depending on which bit of the car he was under so he didn't even have to move that. There is also nothing in the yard to distract from the car and there is the 'F' of a Firestone sign on the wall, which could be cut out of shot.
Perhaps a garage publicity shot to encourage/show home maintenance?
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(15-07-2024, 08:49 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: I bought my Loakes, 13 years ago, they still work perfectly.

No idea about the cylinder… sorry.

Ditto for both.

I inherited a pair of Loakes 17 years ago. I wear them every year to the Revival, supremely comfortable even after a full day walking the Goodwood circuit.

Great photo.
The cylinder above the number plate is a real mystery. Is one end fitted with segments of glass? I've looked at hundreds of pictures of old fire extinguishers and not one matches.

Attached Files
.jpg   RN with cylinder crop.jpg (Size: 72.68 KB / Downloads: 218)
(15-07-2024, 09:42 PM)robert regan Wrote: are they mk2 swallow bumpers I see nice car

Manufactured by Wilmot Breeden and fitted to some Swallows and other cars at the time.
Seems this same car was also used in a wall chart....

.jpg   Austin 7 Poster For Sale.jpg (Size: 145.76 KB / Downloads: 194)
Given we now have a further photo of the same car in a different setting, are these from some sort of trade/advertising publication - or a calendar perhaps? If so and given the Wilmot Breeden connection, is it something produced by them to promote their wares? Perhaps the 'cylinder' is something they produced; a light of some sort maybe?

Steve
In about 1934 some Daimlers had indicators that consisted of a tube that ran across the top of the wndscreen. Inside the tube was a cylinder that slid from side to side so that a light would protrude from one end or other of the tube depending on which way the tube was slid.
Could this be something similar so that a electrically driven light slides out to show the direction of turn?
Jim