The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radiator re-core
Looking at an old 30 rad, could one "section" the original duff core once removed - would the orginal honeycomb parts at front and back stay together... to give 2 new fake fronts?
Whilst a modern core is certainly adequate for most purposes, I couldn't help but observe that when I switched to a 'period' core on the Ulster the capacity of the system increased by 3 whole pints. I haven't had the chance to put it through its paces yet, but I imagine this may be advantageous when it comes to long ascents.
(13-06-2024, 03:09 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Whilst a modern core is certainly adequate for most purposes, I couldn't help but observe that when I switched to a 'period' core on the Ulster the capacity of the system increased by 3 whole pints. I haven't had the chance to put it through its paces yet, but I imagine this may be advantageous when it comes to long ascents.

Chris
What’s the capacity now with the ‘period’ core?

PS

These people sell it https://www.easycomposites.co.uk/5mm-48k...-honeycomb
No idea what a composite honeycomb is really like but at £24 for 600x600 its not wildly expensive to test, especially if you have a mate to use the other half of the sheet
(13-06-2024, 03:28 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(13-06-2024, 03:09 PM)Chris KC Wrote: Whilst a modern core is certainly adequate for most purposes, I couldn't help but observe that when I switched to a 'period' core on the Ulster the capacity of the system increased by 3 whole pints. I haven't had the chance to put it through its paces yet, but I imagine this may be advantageous when it comes to long ascents.

Chris

Just about 8 1/2 pints now Charles
(13-06-2024, 04:35 PM)Chris KC Wrote:
(13-06-2024, 03:28 PM)Charles P Wrote:

Chris

Just about 8 1/2 pints now Charles

My modern core is just shy of a gallon, so not all modern cores are the same
Whilst I've never measured it, the original type core on my Saloon holds rather more than the modern core on my Ulster. However, the problem with the Ulster is getting the thing hot enough. The modern core is certainly much more efficient and I now run without a fan belt.

Steve
Steve - is your modern core aluminium or normal? where did you get it made?
The core on my trials Chummy is modern type and oversized - which I thought a good idea when I ordered it, bit it is v heavy on the front which is not ideal for trialling! I am thinking about changing it for an ally one of maybe less capacity, any comment?
Many apologies, Bob. I should have replied a week ago. Modern core is 'normal'. It was fitted locally and I'm afraid I've no experience of aluminium cores.

Apologies, again,

Steve
Thanks Steve - no worries!
Warrington Mesh company supply hexagonal steel mesh in varying sizes of holes which can be sprayed matt black and can look surprisingly effective over a modern core...

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)