The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Radiator re-core
Hello All
I have just had a quote to have a chummy honeycomb radiator re-cored as original.
The price was £950 and I just wondered if that sounds reasonable. I'm sure some others charge in excess of that figure.
I understand that a modern core would be far cheaper but I wanted to keep the original.
Your advise would be much appreciated.
Adrian.
I had mine done a year or so back by a friendly expert in Cambridge, and the price was rather lower. PM me if you wish me to enquire about current price.
Sad 
Hi Adrian
£950 sounds about right, but beware - does that  quote include VAT. I got stung by a local well recommended firm in Cornwall, (who did a superb recore job) but the 20% was a most unwelcome addition. Modern replacement cores are fine for painted cowl models (out of sight to most casual rivet counters) but not for a chummy!
Bob
Lincolnshire Radiators seemingly get good press - certainly for repairs. Might be worth getting a quote, even though they are a ways from you... I think Dave Campbell is the chap to speak to - 01522 684195

No connection - just going on comments I have seen by others.
All sorted now thanks to a message informing me that Tony Wilder is still in business. I believed that he had retired so did not try that avenue.
The quote he gave me was very competitive so the radiator is winging it's way to him.
Thanks to all who helped.
Adrian.
I seem to recall a thread on here some time ago (can’t find it now). They put a modern more efficient core in and masked it at the front with a thin honeycombed skin giving a honeycombed look.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
John

You mean like this?
https://www.austin7ulster.com/shop/p/hon...ator-cover
The cost of the raw core is around £700 and I understand only available from two companies in the UK.

The stuff Charles has linked to looks like Nomex Honycomb which is used in Boatbuilding and other industries
(12-06-2024, 11:04 PM)dickie65 Wrote: The cost of the raw core is around £700 and I understand only available from two companies in the UK.

The stuff Charles has linked to looks like Nomex Honycomb which is used in Boatbuilding and other industries

I just made a stone guard instead, but a Chummy with a stone guard may look a bit odd

Fake honeycomb was available in tinned form. It was about 1/4” thick and could be soldered to the front of a modern core. A few years ago the suppliers sold up to the people at Bicester.
As Dickie observes, the supply of period cores is somewhat restricted and the price of the fake solderable honeycomb has risen. When I last checked it meant that there was little difference in final cost between a genuine period-type core and a modern core with the old type of fake honeycomb.
The Nomex honeycomb is new to me and could be useful with an alloy core,I imagine.

Regards,

Stuart