The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
RH insurance premiums
I think that some organisers, particularly the larger ones, understand very, very well. Those signing/ticking their box are the ones who don't understand the mess they could get themselves into. As I said earlier, simple rule, if that's what they ask you to do, don't go.

Steve
(05-06-2024, 05:01 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: I think that some organisers, particularly the larger ones, understand very, very well. Those signing/ticking their box are the ones who don't understand the mess they could get themselves into. As I said earlier, simple rule, if that's what they ask you to do, don't go.

Steve

Steve, so you want me to sit at home and twiddle my thumbs on Saturday this week, rather than enjoy the event with around 500 others who presumably have all put a tick in the box? The simple rule is, listen to all of the advice and then make your own mind up.
At the suggestion of our Membership Secretary, when we fill out the paperwork for our local show we cross that section out before signing - always been accepted to attend! Mind you, we do have a reputation for being a bit rebellious down here in Cornwall!
If event organisers ask me to sign up to “Public Liability” insurance, I cross out “Public Liability” and hand write “Third Party Liability” before signing. So far organisers have continued to send me admission passes.
My own view is that organisers are not trying to shirk their responsibilities but that they are ill informed.
Alan
(05-06-2024, 05:28 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 05:01 PM)Steve Jones Wrote: I think that some organisers, particularly the larger ones, understand very, very well. Those signing/ticking their box are the ones who don't understand the mess they could get themselves into. As I said earlier, simple rule, if that's what they ask you to do, don't go.

Steve

Steve, so you want me to sit at home and twiddle my thumbs on Saturday this week, rather than enjoy the event with around 500 others who presumably have all put a tick in the box? The simple rule is, listen to all of the advice and then make your own mind up.

This is my last on the subject but Andrew, you are missing the point. You don't have Public Liability Insurance, so why do you think it is OK to tick a box that says you have? Like others I simply ignore the box, just don't tick it. It is safer to assume that you are in the minority in ticking a box and the informed are ignoring it or crossing it out.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
(05-06-2024, 07:55 PM)Andy Bennett Wrote:
(05-06-2024, 05:28 PM)andrew34ruby Wrote:

Steve

This is my last on the subject but Andrew, you are missing the point. You don't have Public Liability Insurance, so why do you think it is OK to tick a box that says you have? Like others I simply ignore the box, just don't tick it. It is safer to assume that you are in the minority in ticking a box and the informed are ignoring it or crossing it out.

Andy, I am not missing the point, maybe you are. I have tried NOT ticking the box and I have tried crossing it out and writing 'third party liability' and I have then not had my applications accepted. The options for future seemed to be to stay at home or tick the box.
At the suggestion of our Membership Secretary, when we fill out the paperwork for our local show we cross that section out before signing - always been accepted to attend! Mind you, we do have a reputation for being a bit rebellious down here in Cornwall!
I have arranged more public events than I can count and in every case have arranged public liability insurance. In my view anyone organising event should do that as a matter of course.

On the subject of renewal premiums, my RH premium went up by about 12% and I chose to renew, on this occasion.
My small but distinguished fleet of historic machinery is insured either with RH or Routen Chaplain.Whilst I would have preferred not to have had any  experiences regarding claims, they have both been very good. Both know about our sort of machines, both answer the phone and often one staff member deals with the issue and has access to all necessary info. They are capable for fighting off tides of nonsense from the companies repenting other drivers.  My experience of dealing with insurers of the dear lady wife's modern could not be more different, and deeply infuriating. It also gives a glimpse into another world of "motor engineers" and car body shops that seem to exist only and makes lots of money under the cheerful banner "it's an insurance job!" 

The forum notes above relate to correct cover for events such as shows. One question specifically asked about the damaged Ruby was where  I had been and what I was doing. This had nothing to do with personal activities, but to ensure that I was not occupying a weekday afternoon with something that the other party's insurance would use as an excuse not to admit any liability. This lead to a conversation not only about being a white ribboned wedding car for anyone other than immediate family, but any sort of motor sport. Cover is extended to nav rallies and road sections of rallies and trials organised by clubs affiliated to MSUK, and thus permitted by MSUK and under their regulations. Cover is very specifically excluded for events described as competitive events organised by unaffiliated clubs.

For a number of years there have been forum snaps of the happy Austin Seven winners of prizes and awards in the Vintage Morris Register Summer Navigation Rally.  Taking to my insurer made evident that if the xxxing  idiot had driven into me when I was displaying a competitor's number, or found to be on an event without a MSUK permit, this would have been seized on as a reason for me being uninsured. This would also apply in the event of some incident regarding public liability. 

This year, due to the VSCC Anniversary gathering, the LCES will not be having their Summer Rally. The VMC have invited LCES members to enter the VMC Summer Rally, this was circulated by the LCES, and the entry list indicates some LCES members and some Austin Seven owners taking up this invitation. Some forum members might think that the Blue Book is a slightly risque French novel with naughty illustrations by Aubrey  Beardsley, some of us will have a copy on our shelves because we need to know the requirements for keeping within the law, and being covered by the very large insurance offered by MSUK for affiliated clubs such as PWA7C and Inter Register.

The Vintage Morris Register is not an affiliated club. Contrary to a recent statement by an organiser of its Summer Navigation Rally, it does not have an MSUK permit. anyone choosing to enter that competitive event will not be covered by the organiser's third party or public liability cover as they do not appear to have any. Any Seven owners thinking of entering the VMC Summer Navigation Rally should speak to their insurers, who may offer an additional cover for a fee, or may say that the organisers do not fulfill the requirements. Any unfortunate incident involving another competitor, a horse or a little grey Fergie may not be at all the fault of the driver, but any other parties discovering a lack of insurance will mean no protection whatsoever for that driver.  

Some forum contributors may find this, and the lack of correct public liability cover offered by show organisers to merely be boring bureaucracy. It may indeed be like that for some time, until the first major incident. 

And now, back to the workshop.
Off at a tangent here but, I have stopped going to shows that want to charge me for being part of the show. Without the cars/bikes/memorabilia there is no show and I'll be damned if I have to pay to lend the organisers my presence with car to make their income! The viewing public are usually delighted to see the show and pay for a day out.
We, the exhibitors, have spent hours and pounds restoring, caring, servicing, polishing and we should be charging the organisers a fee to turn up!
I think it's time that owners took a stand on this point as without us the organisers have nothing but concession stalls and a car park...