The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP what’s the best way to sell my Austin 7 Ruby?
Car and Classic has become more cumbersome unless you register your details with them to become 'trusted'. I've found that even if you tick the box for alerts, I have to log in and go into chats to see if any enquiry messages have been sent. They don't come through to email - crazy!
Unless anything is super rare, super original, super well sorted/known or very reasonably priced it's not selling. Which is good for new people coming into the hobby if prices drop so new enthusiastic people can in time become enthusiasts, but not so good for current owners. I still think that somewhere where you can leave it online for a longer period will ensure you eventually get a bite from someone who appreciates your particular car.
In answer to Dave’s question I threw caution to the wind and went for the Auction format with a very low starting price and in both cases, they achieved a very fair price, because everyone loves a bargain!

Several people came round to have a look and a drive and made offers on the spot, though it was very tempting, I felt it was unfair on the other bidders and I let the auctions run.

I think a lot of people see these crazy asking prices and automatically believe they are achieved, when that is simply not the case unless the car is particularly rare or desirable, or is authentic and unrestored.
(28-05-2024, 08:49 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: In answer to Dave’s question I threw caution to the wind and went for the Auction format with a very low starting price and in both cases, they achieved a very fair price, because everyone loves a bargain!

Several people came round to have a look and a drive and made offers on the spot, though it was very tempting, I felt it was unfair on the other bidders and I let the auctions run.

I think a lot of people see these crazy asking prices and automatically believe they are achieved, when that is simply not the case unless the car is particularly rare or desirable, or is authentic and unrestored.
What percentage did eBay end up taking? I hear that it can be considerable.
I can’t remember off the top of my head Tony, but the price achieved more than covered the percentage charged…I’ll trawl through my emails and see what I can find.
Just checked on my eBay account it’s £15 insertion fee to sell by auction (it’s more expensive as a classified) and they charge 1% on the sale.
Ebay auction fees could be considered as a bargain compared to what traditional auction houses take from a sale - albeit the service is different.
If I was selling my box saloon, I would advertise it here and in my club magazine for a realistic price (what some may consider a bargain) being fairly sure it would be a smooth sale with sensible A7 enthusiasts that won’t mess me around.

If that didn’t work I would use eBay. I have no experience of Car and Classic but when I see a so-called original Ruby at £11,000 I have a feeling there are a few chancers using it!
I tried eBay to sell a seven with no success,All I got was an initial interest wanting lots of details which turned out to be someone trying a scam. Then a couple of would you like to do a swap,if it existed.
If it doesn’t sell first time eBay then advise you to drop the price,10% ? Etc. Their charges are high too.
Same with parts,put on at what I considered a fair price and generally got people making silly offers.
I had more interest on Raleigh moped parts tbh.
A local lad has sold several cars on car and classic here.
(29-05-2024, 09:15 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: I can’t remember off the top of my head Tony, but the price achieved more than covered the percentage charged…I’ll trawl through my emails and see what I can find.
Just checked on my eBay account it’s £15 insertion fee to sell by auction (it’s more expensive as a classified) and they charge 1% on the sale.

Thank you,, that's useful information as eBay appears to change charges on a whim.
I wonder if that changes in their discounted insertion periods? I don't list anything unless I get an 80% fee reduction email from them. Ebay is getting less popular (in the breadth of new material added), seemingly, as they are starting to turn back in favour of the seller.
SmileSmileWell I eventually decided to sell my 1935 Ruby on Ebay Classified, it sold for a very near offer after one day and the total ebay charge was £19.99. Brilliant 

Big Grin Now to sell the spares.