The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
HELP what’s the best way to sell my Austin 7 Ruby?
HELP, what’s the best way to sell my Austin 7 Ruby?

How can I easily achieve the good sale price for my 1935 Ruby?

Is it though eBay, Car & Classic, Autotrader, The Classic Car Network or An Auction House like Mathewsons At Pickering. Obviously all will take a percentage and they have to make their profit.

As I live in sparsely populated part of the country, Cumbria, it’s harder to find prospective buyers who are willing to travel.

Another option would be to strip her of the original registration which could result in a instant purchase of between £1500 to just over £2000, I’ve even had a quote of £2500 with them selling it on their site for over £3000. But I’m not fan of parting a car of the plate. Then just accept a lower sale price.

Then there are the spares to get rid of and eBay doesn't seem to sell the bits quickly, whether it's because the prices are high or there is less interest in Austin's these days. Plus again potential buyers would have to travel as you can't put an engine in the post.

Any advice and ideas would be appreciated.
Try a picture or two with a guide price here, you never know who's looking...
I have sold two Austin 7’s on behalf of others using Car and Classic. They do not charge a fee.
You could also advertise via your local A7 club.
Hope this helps.
Alan
I agree with Duncan. Your success in achieving a sale will largely depend on how realistic you are in your expectations. A classified ad via an A7 club mag may well find you a buyer if the asking price is in line with 'sensible' levels.
I, too, have used Car & Classic with success. As Nick says, the key is to be honest with your description and realistic with your price - there is a ready market for Sevens at the right price, but ask even £500 too much and you can be sitting there with no enquiries. As for selling the registration number separately, bear in mind a car that has lost its original number could well be worth a couple of thousand less than one which retains its original number.
(27-05-2024, 03:01 PM)DaveT Wrote: HELP, what’s the best way to sell my Austin 7 Ruby?

Plus again potential buyers would have to travel as you can't put an engine in the post.

A few years ago I put an MG midget gearbox in the post to Ireland, and he bought it from me unseen on ebay.

There is a trickle of sevens being sold on ebay most weeks.
Hi,
I've also sold a couple of cars on behalf of others via Car and Classic which have proved easy and not incurred any costs. Personally, I would avoid auction houses / sites - both selling and buying - but that's my personal opinion based on experiences some of my friends have had in the past when going this route.
It probably depends largely on what you've got and how much you anticipate achieving re sale price - there have been several cars over the years which have sat around for ages, disappeared and then returned months later to sit around again without selling due to some very "optimistic" sales prices.
I certainly wouldn't consider selling the registration number separately - it's part of your car and needs to stay with it - and you'd probably only end up about level overall once you then have to sell your car for a reduced price with the new registration number on it anyway.
If you're in an Austin 7 club, you can try their relevant publication or even the excellent "Grey Mag" from the Association for both the car and the spares you mention you have.
Everything will sell - it's just a matter of how long and how much.
Hope that helps / makes some sense?
Best wishes,
Nick
I have used eBay to sell cars in the past, they know how to charge, but I have achieved a fair price in the end and people are prepared to travel.

However, I think Duncan is right, try putting an ad on here first, there’s quite a crowd on here and as many have said, please don’t devalue the history of the car by parting it from the number plate that has identified the car for the past 90 odd years!
Not that I am planning to sell my Ruby. It would however be nice to know how to value it. Do such things as ‘Runs Well’ have any real selling value also things like converted to 12.volt, electronic ignition fitted or new Phenix crank fitted have any influence on the price.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(28-05-2024, 09:02 AM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: I have used eBay to sell cars in the past, they know how to charge, but I have achieved a fair price in the end and people are prepared to travel.

However, I think Duncan is right, try putting an ad on here first, there’s quite a crowd on here and as many have said, please don’t devalue the history of the car by parting it from the number plate that has identified the car for the past 90 odd years!
Which ebay format did you use? I have got a Nippy for sale and was thinking of using the Classified Ad option.