The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mortal remains....but potential?
What to make of this?
Click the above to make the link
Austin/Bantam special.
1938 single-seater race car with a Crossley engine and gearbox.
Is it really worth that much?

Personally, I wouldn't touch it.
Should there be a link with this, Tony?

I wonder whether the "Crossley" engine and gearbox is an Austin unit from a licence-built German Willys-Overland-Crossley, or is from a "Crosley" (one S), an obscure US microcar built from just before to just after WW2.

EDIT; Sorry, didn't recognise the link for what it was. The engine certainly isn't Austin/WOC and neither is the chassis. I think that the whole thing is based on a Crosley.
It looks to me as if the engine is a sohc Crosley, as in the Slingshot. There were some engines used in hydroplanes I believe and I think they also formed a basis (with a DOHC head) for some of the more exotic Morettis. I see there is a spare engine.

IMHO an interesting project. I have sometimes thought that I could find a use for a Crosley engine or two.

Regards,

Stuart
Whilst it will probably make a very interesting and unusual car, it seems to me that your going to either be very lucky or will have to tell a lot of lies to get it road registered.
Didn't one or two Crosley engined Bantams / American Austins race under The Automobile Racing Club of America rules in the '30s / early '40s?
I'd certainly consider taking something like this on, right up my bodywork street but I'd have to see it first and Cardiff is a very long way away...I'd never get there and back in a day
I love the little arrowhead vents in the bonnet sides though how effective they'd be is a moot point.
I love it when it was the garden feature. And that crazy manifold. Presumably clears the sump somehow?
There seems to be precious little Austin about it; maybe the main chassis rails started life as an Austin, but I'm not convinced. Also, there doesn't appear to be any rear suspension; is the rear axle bolted rigidly to the chassis? And as Hedd suggests, it will be virtually impossible to get it road-registered without some plausible and inventive back-story
Hi All

No matter whether or not it is registerable or what engine it has or whether it has any Austin in it. I love the look!  If it had an Austin chassis and engine I’d be lusting after it.

I’d ditch the spare wheel!

Cheers

Howard