The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined property: MyLanguage::$archive_pages - Line: 2 - File: printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/printthread.php(287) : eval()'d code 2 errorHandler->error_callback
/printthread.php 287 eval
/printthread.php 117 printthread_multipage

Austinsevenfriends
Mortal remains....but potential? - Printable Version

+- Austinsevenfriends (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum)
+-- Forum: Austin Seven Friends Forum (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=1)
+--- Forum: Forum chat... (https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/forumdisplay.php?fid=14)
+--- Thread: Mortal remains....but potential? (/showthread.php?tid=6038)

Pages: 1 2

Mortal remains....but potential? - Tony Griffiths - 29-04-2021

What to make of this?
Click the above to make the link
Austin/Bantam special.
1938 single-seater race car with a Crossley engine and gearbox.

RE: Mortal remains....but potential? - Ray White - 29-04-2021

Is it really worth that much?

Personally, I wouldn't touch it.

RE: Mortal remains....but potential? - Martin Prior - 29-04-2021

Should there be a link with this, Tony?

I wonder whether the "Crossley" engine and gearbox is an Austin unit from a licence-built German Willys-Overland-Crossley, or is from a "Crosley" (one S), an obscure US microcar built from just before to just after WW2.

EDIT; Sorry, didn't recognise the link for what it was. The engine certainly isn't Austin/WOC and neither is the chassis. I think that the whole thing is based on a Crosley.

RE: Mortal remains....but potential? - stuartu - 29-04-2021

It looks to me as if the engine is a sohc Crosley, as in the Slingshot. There were some engines used in hydroplanes I believe and I think they also formed a basis (with a DOHC head) for some of the more exotic Morettis. I see there is a spare engine.

IMHO an interesting project. I have sometimes thought that I could find a use for a Crosley engine or two.

Regards,

Stuart

RE: Mortal remains....but potential? - Hedd_Jones - 29-04-2021

Whilst it will probably make a very interesting and unusual car, it seems to me that your going to either be very lucky or will have to tell a lot of lies to get it road registered.

RE: Mortal remains....but potential? - Chris Garner - 29-04-2021

Didn't one or two Crosley engined Bantams / American Austins race under The Automobile Racing Club of America rules in the '30s / early '40s?

RE: Mortal remains....but potential? - Duncan Grimmond - 29-04-2021

I'd certainly consider taking something like this on, right up my bodywork street but I'd have to see it first and Cardiff is a very long way away...I'd never get there and back in a day
I love the little arrowhead vents in the bonnet sides though how effective they'd be is a moot point.

RE: Mortal remains....but potential? - JonE - 29-04-2021

I love it when it was the garden feature. And that crazy manifold. Presumably clears the sump somehow?

RE: Mortal remains....but potential? - Mike Costigan - 29-04-2021

There seems to be precious little Austin about it; maybe the main chassis rails started life as an Austin, but I'm not convinced. Also, there doesn't appear to be any rear suspension; is the rear axle bolted rigidly to the chassis? And as Hedd suggests, it will be virtually impossible to get it road-registered without some plausible and inventive back-story

RE: Mortal remains....but potential? - Howard Wright - 29-04-2021

Hi All

No matter whether or not it is registerable or what engine it has or whether it has any Austin in it. I love the look!  If it had an Austin chassis and engine I’d be lusting after it.

I’d ditch the spare wheel!

Cheers

Howard