The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Tyres
As far as passenger cars are concerned there is no legislation in the UK that limits the age of tyres. That is partly because the advisory bodies, car companies, tyre companies and the like are unable to give an answer to what constitutes a reasonable safe age for a tyre. Age is a small part of the equation. Far more important is how a tyre is used and stored.
Alan Fairless
I think we all have enough common sense to tell when tyres need replacing.

In addition to lack of tread and cracked sidewalls, there is the problem of the “rubber” hardening, the tyres I took off the box saloon were like Bakelite, thankfully I only used them for low speed towing, however, the tyres on my Velocette are still perfectly serviceable and they must be twenty years old.
I've been back to the car today to try unsuccessfully to fre the engine, here's the photos of one tyre          all there is is the make and size nothing else.
Presumably very old then?

False Economy to use old tyres- hard tyres do not ride well and have very bad brake performance and with Austin 7 brakes you need every bit of help !
Hardly objective, I know, but the ride on my Cabriolet was transformed when I replaced a set of ageing tyres (I had bought the car in 1998 and they were already on it) a couple of years ago for a set of Longstones. Quite remarkable the transformation which I think (in part) is due to the suppleness of the side walls so the tyres play their correct role in the suspension behaviour...
Well I checked Alice's tyres which do look like they need replacing having some cracks in the walls. They are Avon SM Mk 11 (see photo of good looking spare). The other pic is of one of the four on the car and you can see the obvious surface cracking and what I think is a date???  SM065  Can I interpret this as June 75,85,or 95  ??? I believe the car was completely rebuilt in the 1970's so that era would fit best.
Anyway, I need a new set either Longstone or Blockley. I guess the spare (SM085) will survive as an family heirloom.

I have big tyre levers - how easy are they to change over?

They can be straightforward to change. I like to take tyres off from the back of the wheel because it is difficult to avoid a bit of paint damage, and I normally put a bit of old carpet down to work on to protect the outside which is downwards. Inevitably the wheel wobbles a bit when working on it. I also put some rag between the lever and the rim to minimise paint chips. You need to ensure that the opposite side from where you are levering is settled right into the centre of the rim. With a bit of trial and error you will find how far to space the levers for getting the first part of the tyre bead over the rim, and depending on how hard and stiff the tyre is you may find that a third lever is desirable while you hold the originals down. Like everyrthing else experience is useful, but you always start without it! Once one side of the tyre is off the second side is always easier.
Hi Dave

Robert’s advice is spot on. The only thing I would add is to get the tyres warm before you start. A couple of hours in the house if the partner doesn’t mind.

Cheers

Howard
Always start and finish at the valve and make sure the bead you're levering is fully into the wheel well 180° from where you're applying the force.
If you ask longstones nicely they will probably fit them for you. It’s about 50ish miles away almost as quick as fitting them yourself
Alan Fairless