The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Routine Maintenance.
(16-07-2024, 11:06 AM)Andy Bennett Wrote: Not a scuff on those perfect shoes, they haven't been worn by anyone scrambling around under a car. 

My father was an engineer and spent much of his day working at a forge. Each and every weekday night I remember him blacking and polishing his boots. A finish even a Sergeant Major would have been proud of. I do agree however; one can often tell the character of a person by the state of their footwear.
Just to be clear on my comment regarding shoes our friend meant it not as 'looking down' on someone with tatty shoes (I am currently on my fourth repair with sikaflex), rather that people would dress down for a boot sale to appear less well off but they always gave themselves away with expensive shoes.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Strangely, there is a Seven on ebay the moment - similar age and registration - that has something mounted in the same position:

Here is the reverse of the photograph. The other post of the car going through the ford is another one that I have.     
"Strangely, there is a Seven on ebay the moment - similar age and registration - that has something mounted in the same position:"

That looks a little like the turn indicator described back in the 20s by that Austin 7 writer with the interesting name- Welling Whiffen or similar.
Oh, well, the text on the back of the photo has shattered my illusions about the lad and the photographer. it was interesting pondering on it though.
OK but what is the guy doing? Having owned RN saloons for 60 years the only jobs in the area he's working is tightening the rear spring through bolt or oiling the the rear brake cable pulley.
Dave: that's where I was coming from, he isn't doing anything other than posing for the camera.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I realized that but thought I'd just spell it out.