The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Steering Control Bracket Tube
Could someone explain how the steering Control Bracket Tube (BM136) is secured? Parts book PL670_F pages 39/40 states that it includes socket BM47 - this is shown on pages 41/42. The drawing on page 40 appears to also show BM47 - is BM47 secured to BM136 somehow?
In my steering box BM47 has been 'staked' to the securing nut (BM48) by 4 punch marks - is this normal? Also, the  Control Bracket Tube protrudes below BM47 - presumably this is incorrect (and should be flush) as I think that the tube needs to stick out at the top so that the Control Bracket (BM128) can clamp to it?

There is also a bush (BM142) at the top of the Control Bracket Tube - is this just a push fit into the inner column?

Finally, what does the Peg (BM20) do?

Thanks
Posting the illustration might help Colin.
Hi Colin

From memory (it was a few years since I had a steering box apart) the control bracket tube (136) is soldered on to the control bracket tube socket (47). I think you are right in that the control tube protrudes sufficiently at the top so that the control bracket (128) can clamp to it.  I don’t see any need for it to protrude at the bottom.

Cheers

Howard
Relevant pages from PL670_F        
Thanks Colin - the illustration helps to clarify the question, but is also informative for other people stumbling on this thread later on (and indeed to me!)

I believe Howard is right in saying 47 is soldered to the tube, and you are correct that 47 is locked to to 48 by punch marks. I think you would have to carefully drill these out in order to unscrew the nut, though I have never personally had one apart that far.

This is something I may have to tackle soon so I'm interested in any responses.
You do have to drill out the punch marks in my experience.