The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Cotter pin definitions
Hi All

On another thread there is mention of the cotter pin that holds the kingpin tight in the axle eye.  It is contrasted to the cotter pin that ‘say’ secures the crank on a bicycle.

Is there a correct definition for the two types?  Half moon and wedge have been used.  Austin refers to both as cotters. A Google search provides no answers.

Cheers

Howard
This is the half moon cotter.
https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...cotter-nut
This is the wedge
https://www.theaustinsevenworkshop.com/p...cotter-nut

From the Seven Workshop catalogue.
Jim
Half moon and wedge is correct.

Other names will exist.
Is not a 'split pin' also technically called a 'cotter pin?'
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
(07-09-2024, 09:48 AM)Bob Olive Wrote: Is not a 'split pin' also technically called a 'cotter pin?'

Yes, (- a "split cotter" pin)
I think 'cotter' can refer to a variety of locking devices.  I work on rail wagons and we have cotters that are a roughly 4 x 2" rectangular plate passed through a slot.  Bit off subject but there you are
My dictionary defines a cotter as a pin or wedge passing through a hole to bind parts tightly together. That definition appears to cover a multitude of fixing devices.

It appears, however, that the Americans use the term to mean a split pin. I am reminded of the 'bon mot' attributed to the late Sir Winston Churchill describing the English and Americans as " two nations divided by a common language"
I've always called the brake pin type "taper cotters"