The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A plea for A7CA Magazine articles...

.jpeg   WhatsApp Image 2024-09-04 at 08.48.43.jpeg (Size: 72.32 KB / Downloads: 364)

Since 1970 the Austin Seven Clubs’ Association Magazine has been produced each quarter (with one exception, when only 3 were produced over the course of a year).  The Magazine is a firm favourite across the globe, providing articles of interest for its 3400+ readership alongside local club magazines.

Production of the Magazine is entirely reliant on copy sourced from those readers – we now need you to help us source new copy.  The Editor’s cupboard is currently empty and so we are making an appeal, to you all, to send in something of interest.  Articles do not need to be lengthy, but they must be Austin Seven related and we absolutely love high quality images, old or new.

Our esteemed Editor writes:

“In particular I’m interested in the following:-

The discovery and return to the road of cars that have ‘lived a life’.
   Technical details and work carried out on a specific component during restoration.
   Preparation of competition cars and the driving experience obtained.
   The development of the Seven from an historical viewpoint.
   Information on forgotten sporting successes where the Seven excelled (or took part).
   Adventurous journeys in an Austin Seven.

Howard Wright
editor@a7ca.org or 01597 829456”

Howard is happy to receive your input as letters or emails.

To stir your creative minds, consider if you can tell us more about:

·       A holiday that you (or a previous generation), took in an Austin Seven.
·       Technical tips and or tools you have found useful – particularly if hand made.
·       A restoration, or build, you have undertaken.
·       A notable sporting achievement or event that has happened with an Austin Seven.
·       A trip or event that happened “50 Years Ago” comparing it to those which occur today.
·       Photos from your own family archive that show Austin Sevens new or in daily use.

Everyone has something to share that will interest others, please consider how you can add to the constantly evolving archive that is the “Austin Seven Clubs’ Association Magazine”.

Ruairidh Dunford

A7CA Secretary

If there is anything of interest that can be used for the magazine from my thread on restoring and building my van you are welcome to use it if it helps.
regards,
Stephen
That would be perfect, I am sure that Howard will comment here soon enough….
(04-09-2024, 12:50 PM)Steve Bryant Wrote: If there is anything of interest that can be used for the magazine from my thread on restoring and building my van you are welcome to use it if it helps.
regards,
Stephen

Hi Steve

Yes, thank you, it would make a great article. There is a lot in the thread and it could make more than one article.  It would also be good to include the finished item but that might be a little while off.

I wonder if you could send me your thoughts on what to include from the thread and where to split it into say two or even three sections?  Best done via email I think?  editor@a7ca.org

Cheers

Howard
I could fairly easily put something together on my recentlyish returned to the road Chummy that I partially rescued from a New Zealand scrapyard if that'd be of interest? I'm afraid it's certainly not a full restoration to the standard of others but more a catalogue of assembling other people's abandoned components into something resembling a usable vehicle
(04-09-2024, 07:47 PM)RupertW Wrote: I could fairly easily put something together on my recentlyish returned to the road Chummy that I partially rescued from a New Zealand scrapyard if that'd be of interest? I'm afraid it's certainly not a full restoration to the standard of others but more a catalogue of assembling other people's abandoned components into something resembling a usable vehicle

Isn't that the best sort of car to have?
(04-09-2024, 07:47 PM)RupertW Wrote: I could fairly easily put something together on my recentlyish returned to the road Chummy that I partially rescued from a New Zealand scrapyard if that'd be of interest? I'm afraid it's certainly not a full restoration to the standard of others but more a catalogue of assembling other people's abandoned components into something resembling a usable vehicle

David’s suggestion (next post) has some merit and I’m happy to consider anything that returns a Seven to the road.  Send me an email and I’ll send you some guidelines.

Cheers

Howard
Just a thought, but we don't seem to see so many technical & how-to articles these days. 
I guess a lot of present owners either bought their cars in a restored state, or repaired them so long ago that details have misted. 
Plus there's always the fear of sticking one's neck out and getting pooh-poohed by the many, many people who know better.

Nonetheless, there are still quite a few challenging restoration tasks which don't seem to have ever had a write-up (or did so long ago that I can't find them - in which case perhaps they are due for a re-print?) Fer instance, next year I have to tackle a sill replacement on a Box saloon - but I have yet to find a guide to walk me through the process. Likewise roof peak repair (I've just done mine, and not sure I'd hold it up as a beacon of excellence, but I've done it. Just wondering how I'd condense it into a 2-pager).

My basic point (if you've read this far) is that there are still challenging A7 tasks for which a handy reference guide has yet to be written...
(05-09-2024, 09:19 AM)Chris KC Wrote: Just a thought, but we don't seem to see so many technical & how-to articles these days. 
I guess a lot of present owners either bought their cars in a restored state, or repaired them so long ago that details have misted. 
Plus there's always the fear of sticking one's neck out and getting pooh-poohed by the many, many people who know better.

Nonetheless, there are still quite a few challenging restoration tasks which don't seem to have ever had a write-up (or did so long ago that I can't find them - in which case perhaps they are due for a re-print?) Fer instance, next year I have to tackle a sill replacement on a Box saloon - but I have yet to find a guide to walk me through the process. Likewise roof peak repair (I've just done mine, and not sure I'd hold it up as a beacon of excellence, but I've done it. Just wondering how I'd condense it into a 2-pager).

My basic point (if you've read this far) is that there are still challenging A7 tasks for which a handy reference guide has yet to be written...

Hi Chris

You are right, there are not many ‘walk through restoration’ articles of late and they are always very welcome.  With my own restoration work I always forget to take the right photos (perhaps because I’m so engrossed in doing the work).  But to all potential contributors….If you are starting a bit of restoration work please take photos and scribble down notes for a future article in the magazine.  Perhaps for a special issue in the new year?

Thanks Chris for raising this

Howard
Howard, I could do something about the design, build and construction details of my special. However I am thinking it would be way too long to have any worthwhile detail unless you would want it as a series. Let me know if you think it could work
Black Art Enthusiast