The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Adjustable Beds - Any Advice
Hi,

Completely off topic, but my wife has a long term back problem and we are considering buying an electrically adjustable bed as she's in less pain if she can lay back rather than down.

Anyway, these beds are typically the best part of £2,000 so I don't want to simply order one un-seen and most of the bed shops which advertise them don't actually have a display model.

Does anyone have any experience of these and what advice would you give?

Many thanks,
John.
John, it grieves me to tell you we paid good money to have a fully adjustable, electrically-powered hospital bed taken away a few months back - it was in America though so would have cost you more to get it shipped here than to buy new. 

My aunt had a muscle-wasting disease, so worked her way through a long list of assisted appliances. It seemed she was forever 'upgrading' to a new one and being disappointed that it wasn't as good as the one she had before. So while it's difficult to give you specific advice, what I would say is do your very best to identify exactly what you want it to do - conduct experiments with boards or cushions or whatever it takes to get the posture just right. You will then be well-armed to ask the vendor specifically "will it tilt to X degrees?, is it height adjustable between 18 & 24 inches?", etc etc and you'll have at least some confidence that your money won't be wasted. Don't just go shopping for an "adjustable bed" without a clear idea of what you want from it.
Here in Canada we have a friend who bought such a bed for her father only to have him moved to long term care a month later - he has never slept in it.

More to the point, we have service clubs here who distribute various assisting devices - walkers etc. I have had other friends donate their family member beds to such organizations. It may be worth asking around.
We bought a Temper fully adjustable double bed made from 2 singles that are independently adjustable.
We bought it 20 years ago and it is still going strong. Some find the matress a little warm, but for my wife who needs the support and use as a day bed sometimes it has been superb.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
As someone who used to make such things, I second the advice given: mock it up with whatever you can, to see if it would be effective.

To be a good mock up, you need to know what hinges, and where the hinge points are.

From memory, there is usually only a short central section that is static. 

Talk to the supplier/manufacturer for measurements of the sections.

A long "head" section that raises the upper body, and a lower section with an intermediate hinge that raises the legs, hinging around the knee point as it comes up.

Maybe find a second hand one from ebay/Facebook marketplace, etc.

If you do manage to mock it up, give it time.   What gives relief for ten minutes may be uncomfortable in an hour or three.