The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Which tires do you run?
Hi folks

I'm thinking about alternatives to the usual Longstone or Blockley tires. However, I can only find motorcycle tires in size 3.5x19 at Avon or Dunlop. 

Could I also fit motorcycle tires then?

I would love to hear your advice or opinions. Thank you very much in advance!

Cheers
Oliver
The Avon and Dunlop tyres were designed as motorcycle and/or sidecar tyres. The Longstone and Blockley tyres were designed as car tyres. In saying that, such as Avon SM or Sidecar Triple Duty have been used by many, many Seven owners over the years and continue to do so. However, once specific tyres designed for use on cars became available the choice, to me at least, became obvious.

Steve
I agree with him
Alan Fairless
As far as I am aware, Blockley and Longstone are the only 3.50 19 car tyres currently on the market.
My Chummy had Avon Triple duty tyres on when I bought it. When I had the wheels rebuilt I fitted Longstones, I was surprised by how much better it drives on them than the Avons. I have only got experience of Blockleys on other cars, they were very good on a heavier car, but I have heard that they don't work as well on a Chummy, as the sidewall is stiffer.
I'm not sure that Avon Triple Duties are currently available; and when they do become available they will be European imports, so it remains to be seen whether they will be truly the same as the old UK-manufactured tyre. They are (were) popular mainly for their longevity - unless you have a tracking problem it's very hard to wear them out. Good solid no-frills tyre though.
Longstone and Brockley make genuine car tyres available in 3.50x19 size. Previously the Avon Sidecar was perfectly useable for Sevens. As pointed out, it is not certain whether the buy out of Avon by competitors needing to maintain the supply of serious competition tyres will continue with the Triple Sidecar covers. Demon Tweeks were recently offering some at the giveaway price of £30, maybe the remaindered stock went very quickly.
The Avon Triple-Duty sidecar tyre is found on many A7s - with some still going strong after 30 or more years.  Mind you, after that length of time, it's almost certainly time to scrap them. Longstone tyres have some "Coming soon". The current tyres - like those from https://www.blockleytyre.com/product/350-x-19 and https://www.longstonetyres.co.uk/350x19-longstone.html - have the correct vintage tread pattern and it appears that many get on well with them. One friend, a very long-time and highly experienced A7 owner, who drives his cars most days and has tried all sorts of tyres, prefers the Avon "SM" motorcycle type So, rather like oils, there's a wide choice and everyone appears to have their preference.
And we can but hope they come back on the market - and as good as before ?
Just for completeness I’ve been running Longstone 3.50 x 19 for many years, after Avon SMII. I find them much better.
Having recently put 18” wheels on the back I’m running Metzeler 4 x 18 which so far have been great and look good. https://twotyres.co.uk/product/metzeler-block-k/
I am a bad Boy.
( 1934 EB65 )
I have been using Avon SM Rears on my car for years with no problems apart from the rears rubbing the wheel archs on hard cornering.
I have also experimented with 3.25 x 19 Dunlop K70 pattern these have a soft sidewall and squirmy tread so might be better suited to a trials chummy.
I found the Avon Triple duty to be OK for years.
I have now settled on Blockley 3.50 x 19 as the best suited tyre for hard driving. I will be giving them a workout at the MGCC Wiscombe Hillclimb in september. There are a couple of other Sevens entered as well.