The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Ruby Brake Cable Replacement
Hi
I just moved my mk1 ruby to my new home and realised when I got here that I've snapped a rear brake cable! I have a set in a box, any tips on how to change them? I believe it's a body off job but is it doable by just lifting the body a little? Any advice would be appreciated
Rupert
Snapped??
Hi

Its a while since I have done this job, but I don't remember having to lift the body. Cables from our cherished suppliers have clamp type end fittings at the cross shaft end, these are detachable so that the thin cable end can be threaded through the pulleys etc.
Cables easy enough to change, jacking the rear end in the air to balance braking is required. But the big question is how a Ruby brake cable was snapped? I think we should be told!
Probably old age and rust!
Jim
It should take a hell of a lot of force to snap a brake cable; if it has genuinely "snapped" under anything like normal usage conditions, I'd be very interested to know more detail.
For 'snapped' read -  'end pulled off' ?
Definitely not a body off job, have replaced my cables all done by raising the car off the ground and supported on axle on stands and wheels off. As has been noted by others cables are readily available and can removed and fitted from underneath. But make sure the car is fully stable and supported!!