The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ruby tyres
Another Ruby which the owner took along a local bypass with everything going well till a HGV overtook him then it was all over the place, what's the best tires and their pressure? Never experienced that on a RN.
I changed the Cabriolet to a set of Longstones a year or so back and never regretted it. To be fair, they replaced an ageing set of Dunlops that probably had side walls that were rock hard. The suppleness of the new tyres made a contribution to the suspension, I am sure. I think I had them at about 23psi, though am not certain. The Cabriolet hasn't been on the road of late with others being first choice...
I have Longstones on my Ruby, I have no problems with them but have nothing to compare them with, but Longstone recommend 28 psi
I have Longstones on the Ruby and run them at 30psi on the back 26 on the front. Anything less and it wanders a lot. At these pressures the handling is ok but they do wear very quickly. Difficult to make a comparison but years ago we had some ancient 4-50s on the back (no idea what make) and my impression was that the handling was much better.
I have Longstone's on my Top Hat and run them at 20-22 psi. Any more and the car wanders. On the Chummy I have Avon's at the same pressure. I can detect no difference between Longstone's and Avon's other than I believe Avon's are longer lasting. Anyone use Blockley's?
I am currently running on four Longstones - at 25 psi, as suggested. These are stable enough - quite a wide tread, but not very deep in profile. Previously I have run on various other types, usually at 22 psi, again as recommended. Running with the older, heavier 4.50s on the rear (e.g. Avon, Firestone) certainly gave the feeling of stability in the past - and they had to be retired due to old age rather than wear. The only time I had problems was driving a Ruby I had just bought with very old 4.50 rear tyres - this car felt very unstable at the rear and was swaying and weaving around at speed. New rear tyres cured this.

However, even with new tyres correctly set, I find that challenges such as sudden strong gusts of wind might require rapid steering correction when travelling at speed - all part of the fun? Or perhaps this is a result of the accumulated small amount of play in my steering box and joints and could be improved?
As there is no what one might call "calculated science" in the design of an A7 chassis and suspension parts, in the past I've found that with all the bushes, pins, and springs, etc, replaced the car feels "over tight" and "reluctant to respond". As things bed in, matters improve somewhat until a sweet spot is achieved when the car will ride well and steer easily. Of course, later it's downhill all the way and the famous "let-the-car-steer-itself-with a light-grip-on-the-wheel" situation develops. I've never noticed any difference between the makes of tyre - I suppose one just gets used to how the car feels and compensates accordingly. There is a big difference between using a Seven every day (as some of us did) and driving one occasionally - having being meanwhile cosseted in a modern.
As Tony suggests, there's a lot more going on in that situation than just the tyres. Being buffeted about in a tiny, lightweight, very un-aerodynamic car when a huge HGV is passing is, I think, more or less inevitable and I doubt choice of tyres will fix that completely - a slight improvement, possibly. 

I have yet to use anything other than Avon Triple Duties on my cars; I don't rule out that other brands may give a nicer ride etc. but up to now I've been content with them. I'd be very surprised if any tyre on the market has a longer durability & in this respect they are very good value. Or, I should say, "were". I hear they are to be manufactured overseas now, but it remains to be seen whether they will be really the same as the old British-made Avon product. I hear good things about Longstones so may give them a try 'next time' - if they're still in business ten or fifteen years hence...
Do they make the Avons in 4-00 x 17 Chris? I could only find 19" last time I wanted to buy some.
I don't think they make any at all now Peter, production stopped at end of 2023.
I'm not aware that there was a 4.00 x 17 - but I never had need of one so can't say with any confidence I'm afraid.