The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rear axle noise
Been doing lots of work on the '33' AH tourer (carb, timing etc) and on a run into the local town to test what I have done
the rear axle sounds noisy (have commented before in earlier posts).
Basically when I first had the car the rear axle oil was drained, and there was a small part of what looked like a tooth
in the oil. On the second oil change very fine metal particles and very foamy AG140 oil. Suspect the foaming is
normal but !. Not due another oil change for a while but might do another one in the next 100 miles to see if still bits in the oil.

Turning by hand, no noise or tightness, and the same in lower gears, but in fourth gear with acceleration there is definately what sounds
to me like part of a tooth on the crown wheel damaged. Noise goes away when coasting or decelerating.

Presently I want to run the car (no long distances) but want to look at either a rebuild or replacement during winter.

Happy to do the work myself, but wonder who does rebuilds or replacement axles if it proves to be beyond my capabilities.
Being in the North East of Scotland could be a problem, but can pick up or deliver if necessary if distance and weather permits.

Will also be at Guildtown so can also discuss there.

Martin, GM6VXB
I suggest your best bet is Alba Austins for friendly advice and practical help if needed, not local but nearer than most others.
I'll second Robert's comment, you're in good hands with Ruairidh & he's based just outside Glasgow.

If you are not keen to take the car off the road just now, and have a little pocket money to spare, why not acquire another axle for rebuild - then you can swap them over one weekend when it's ready.
Thanks.
Ruairidh  should be at Guildtown so will see him there.
Will try to get a recording of the noise but definately sounds
like the crown wheel as I hear it every revolution of the rear wheel.
Not going to take the car to the meet as it is 120 miles away, and
it means he wife would have to drive the motorhome (which she hates doing).

Martin, GM6VXB
Hi Martin,

I oversee the organising of the Guildtown Rally for the Club, along with a dedicated band of faithful helpers.

We have you entered and in the programme.

Look forward to meeting you.

Ruairidh