The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Friends' Gallery Picture of the Month - May 2024

.png   14_30_12_17_1_59_06.png (Size: 551.75 KB / Downloads: 340)

1935 ARQ Ruby waits at the Caen Street level crossing in Brunton, Devon, probably mid-1950s.

Photo submitted by Jeff Taylor.
For anyone wishing to recreate the scene...

Hi

I like the photo, one I've not seen before. The Ruby must have been only 20 years old but already has a droopy door, so clearly nothing new !
ADF 530 doesn’t appear to be on the dvla database, so perhaps the droopy door was the beginning of the end.

The Ford Popular/Anglia 100E behind must have been new.

What a super, atmospheric photograph, thanks for posting Mike, I always look forward to the Gallery Picture of the Month.
The Ruby has had twin rear lights and reflectors added; reflectors were introduced as a legal requirement on all vehicles from October 1954, and twin rear lights had to be fitted from October 1956, although the Ruby could have had them fitted earlier.
I never got to see a Battle of Britain Class pacific under steam, but that was mainly because Southern region locos didn't come to Yorkshire very often...
I thuoght you Yorkshire gricers didn’t need to see Spamcans because you were proud of your Streaks.
Only the flatlanders over Doncaster way got to see the A4s and Deltics - they were LNER. Us Sheffielders had to put up with London Midland stuff, mainly Jubilee Class steamers doing the Glasgow/London run. and latterly "Peak" class diesel electrics.

I have to admit that standing on Retford station when the Waverly express came through (on the platform) at full chat was pretty impressive. They probably don't do that any more due to H & S wokery.

One of my small claims to fame was "cabbing" the Mallard when it was still in service, at Doncaster.
Nothing wrong with Jubilees, they were my favourite steam loco. As for the through-expresses at Retford, they still go through the station at a fair-old lick - probably not full chat, though.
Some further info re the timescale of the photo - the Bulleid Battle of Britain class loco 34074 '46 Squadron' was allocated to Exmouth Junction MPD from February 1958 until its withdrawal from service in June 1963 - a 15 year lifespan.