The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Modern crank oil seal size..
Good morning chaps, 

Monday morning question really, over the weekend I had limited time in the garage, I'm in the process of removing the flywheel to change the rear seal, something is clearly missing or wrong as it leaks very badly. I plan on buying a modern seal kit, however looking through my spares I found the Aluminum plate used for a modern seal (I guess). Does anyone know if the seal is available, the seal part number or size as Id buy one to have for a future engine build. Or I can measure both the plate hole and flywheel boss I guess  ! ....

I'm right in thinking this is a bolt on modification ? is there anything else I need bear in mind ...

Many thanks in advance Matt..
First thing I would suggest is check what's actually in there. You don't say what engine you have but the later ones at least have a thrower which is sometimes left out or fitted the wrong way round. Personally I've always found this a tolerable arrangement (no worse leakage than everywhere else).

A modern seal won't last forever, but to survive at all needs to run on a smooth, even surface. Those among us who use them adapt the flywheel boss with a purpose-made stainless steel sleeve (SKF part if I remember correctly? - others will chip in with details I'm sure).
thanks Chris, I have a speedi sleeve SSKF99188 on order as back-up.
Use a Viton seal metric 48x72x10 they last longer than the Nitrile seal and the repair sleeve from DT SEALS CR99187 is £10 less than an SKF. Terry. Note you still need to fit the oil thrower.
Great Terry just the info I was looking for

Many thanks Matt8