The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Engine Value
I have a “basket case” engine (2 brg circa 1933) that I’m stripping to see if it’s worth saving. Before spending a fortune on it I’m trying to get an idea of value for a fully refurbished engine. Not that I’d plan to sell it. Just don’t want to spend more than it would be worth?

TIA

T
I doubt if any refurbished engine has a market value that will cover the cost of the refurbishment; anyone looking to buy such an engine will almost certainly want to strip it down to ascertain the standard of the rebuild. Only you can put your own value on having a refurbished engine in stock - if you don't want to be without your car for any length of time then it's worth more than if you can put up with time off the road whilst you rebuild the engine!
I'd second Mike's comments - it's unlikely to turn a profit upon re-sale as a "restored" engine.
It would have to be fairly hammered to be unsalvageable though. I think the real question is do you have a use for a rebuilt engine? If so, go for it.
The last engine I built was ‘for fun’.  I had some parts and decided to build a ‘spare’ engine for my stable.

I don’t count costs (too much info for the wife to complain about) but if you include the Phoenix crank, new pistons, bearings and a hefty bill from the machinist I don’t think I had change from £4K. I wouldn’t get that back if I sold it as ‘rebuilt’.

Fortunately I’ve now found a use for the ‘spare’ engine…. in my van.  I’m not going to build another spare engine, with three cars running if one fails catastrophically I’ll repair it.

Cheers

Howard
I rebuilt a “spare” engine years ago and it stood under the bench while I repaired and refurbished the engines I already had in the other cars.

I ended up giving it away as a spare engine when I sold a car as it was getting in the way, the money I got for the car probably covered 25% of the rebuild cost.

My suggestion would be if you are concerned about cost leave the motor under the bench. If you want the fun of rebuilding it ( which I find very therapeutic) keep a photographic record should you want to sell it and crack on!
The value of having a spare rebuilt engine under the bench is not monetary, rather time.   If your engine breaks a crank and you decide to rebuild it, the parts are readily available but you might have to wait for a batch of cranks to be made.  Remetalling the rods could involve a wait of months.  Once you have rebuilt your engine, after you have put it back into the car it will no doubt have to come out again for a minor adjustment and so the time goes on.  And if you have a spare engine ready to instal, you will find that the old engine in your car will keep going for ever!   So it's all a waste of time and money, buts that life?
As we speak I'm having an engine built ( by a very high quality builder of note) that will cost 4 times what I paid for the car, but that was 33 years ago, so I guess
it's on par with what to expect, the car will be a forever car, so does it really matter, it's only money !!!!!!
Thanks for all replies. I guess I’ve got to do the rebuild for the fun! I’ll just take my time.
T