The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2.5 Average
Front hubs
On mine part of the grease on the shoe problem was caused by a disintegrated gasket between the inner and outer parts of the hub allowing grease to wick through. So splitting the 2 at least lets you renew the gasket. Also then lots on here about not over greasing, or using sealed bearings.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
I use a thinned down 14mm spark plug socket to remove the nut. Shearing the split pin has never caused a problem. Turn the socket down so it just fits inside the outer hub.
Bob
You can replace the split pin with a roll pin (see photo) much easier to fit and remove. Terry.    
(15-04-2024, 07:49 PM)Terrytuned Wrote: You can replace the split pin with a roll pin (see photo) much easier to fit and remove. Terry.

Great tip! Excellent.

Thanks all. That was all I needed to know. The grease plug does indeed foul something inside (or something is preventing the hub from splitting). It's good to know that the split pin just shears off too. It was my previous practice -- I wasn't sure about hardnesses etc with the Austin.
Cheers, Geoffrey
(15-04-2024, 11:09 AM)Bob Kneale Wrote: I use a thinned down 14mm spark plug socket to remove the nut. Shearing the split pin has never caused a problem. Turn the socket down so it just fits inside the outer hub.
Bob

I also use a 14mm spark plug socket to undo the nut by shearing the split pin. It's worked well since the 1970's!
(15-04-2024, 08:18 AM)stuartu Wrote: In recent years (the last forty or so) I have used a split pin of a suitable length and arranged matters so that I can manipulate it to remove it through the hole provided. Prior to that I would split the hub but since using sealed bearings I have seen no reason to do so.
Because it is decades since I used the hub splitting technique my memory may be faulty but I think if you split the front hub it is as well to remove the grease plug since it may foul the outer bearing.
In your case you probably intend to clear excess grease from the hub so you might as well split the hub anyway. When you replace it you can decide if, next time, you will appreciate a suitable split pin.
I will come clean and say that, in my time, I have sheared a split pin with a socket as described.

Regards,

Stuart

Good point- about the grease plug - the original plug is likely to catch on the front bearing.

Re shearing the split pin as I said : 

You has your choice and you takes your pick  [Image: biggrin.png]

Or as Mrs Google tells me:

You pays your money and you takes your choice.  Smile
Are there not usually two small holes, opposite each other, in the threaded section of the outer hub to fit or remove the splitpin?
(17-04-2024, 02:04 PM)Upperfield Wrote: Are there not usually two small holes, opposite each other, in the threaded section of the outer hub to fit or remove the splitpin?

There are, if you can get the split pin to budge. "Small holes" are the key words here. There is no way that long nose pliers can get in there, and a 1/8" blade screwdriver won't drift it out.
To me personally it seems like a design flaw. 
The gaskets need replacing, with grease wicking through, so splitting the hubs is a fair move anyway.
Cheers, Geoffrey
Hallo everyone,
Due to large amounts of grease that come through the gaskets and end up in the brake system, I would like to have a closer look at the gaskets themselves. Shall I use the typical paper gaskets or should they be replaced by some silicon stuff that I apply to both hubs?
Any recommendations or experiences?
Kind regards 
Frank
To replace mine, which were leaking badly I used regular replacement paper ones with a very light smear of gasket gunk (I used Blue Hylomar) and followed the advice regarding cutting down on greasing. I did this about 5 years ago and having done my Spring service a few days ago I can confirm still not a smear of grease has got through.
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!