The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Putting on the inches
Pot holes, ground clearance. Try a 2CV
My 'modern' cars are a diesel Rover 75 (used for towing and long journeys) and an MG ZR (used as a shopping trolley and short trips). The Rover has done c.85k and is used for less than 5000 p.a., and the MG has just passed 40k and also does less than 5000 p.a. I'm happy to spend a few hundred quid a year on each one to keep them in good condition, as depreciation is negligable and I reckon I'm being far more environmentally responsible by not throwing them away and buying something new. Both are automatics. The Rover is comfortable and elegant, and probably a future classic; the MG is a bit of a boy-racer and fun to drive. I feel no envy at all when looking at more modern machinery, and wonder how on earth people can control everything using a sort of touch-screen tablet and still keep their eyes on the road.
And it's rather nice owning 5 cars all built at Longbridge!
Quite right Peter. The 2CV is the very machine for recceing routes for rallies and tours!
(09-04-2024, 09:30 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Quite right Peter. The 2CV is the very machine for recceing routes for rallies and tours!

Indeed, but towing an Austin 7 from Suffolk to Devon for Wiscombe Park hill climb next month is probably beyond it's admirable range of qualities
Rather supprised at the weekend when I needed to get the rear seat of our other old car a riley 9 back home that it fitted on the back seat of my mini cooper with a couple of inches to spare either side. That said the new mini is one of the best and most fun to drive modern cars I have ever owned.
Well haven't Austin Morris gone downhill since 1929  Dodgy

Easy parking still cruises at 70 kph after 95 years- let's see your new 'mini' in 95 years  Tongue

https://www.facebook.com/633208872/video...5064216289
Small diesels. I ran a Fabia Vrs for 11 years - a warm hatch, fun to drive, economical and, with its great torque, especially suited to the Peak district. Hard to find now as they have always been sought-after. A good alternative is a Polo Diesel; not quite the punch but very, very economical. Or, try a Mk.1 or Mk.2 Yeti diesel - they all go well and are excellent tow cars. Some years ago I sought out a 4 x 4 170 b.h.p Mk.1 "run-out" special just as the Mk.2 was coming out. Took some finding, but it's been a delight; part-time 4-wheel drive throughan automatic Haldex clutch ensures the economy does not suffer too much - and it's been great for weekend work pulling out tree stumps.
Indeed, but towing an Austin 7 from Suffolk to Devon for Wiscombe Park hill climb next month is probably beyond it's admirable range of qualities

Charles, let's hope that Wiscombe will have drained off by next month, after the cancellations at Prescott and Shelsley.
I ran a Mk 2 VW Polo for 15 years until it literally fell apart under me. A very practical little car that was fun to drive despite only being 1043cc. It was surprisingly roomy too. About three years ago, I replaced it with a Fiat Panda 4x4. Again a solid small car. It’s quite good, but I’m afraid it is it the Polo. Despite being bigger dimensionally it hasn’t the room the Polo had inside. It isn’t as robust as the VW either but Is still quite a worthy little car.

I still have my Series 3 Landrover for doing the towing and general rough stuff. Owned that for 30 years and simply won’t get rid of it. It’s far too useful and there is nothing now available at a sensible price that will stand the stick it’s had.
We (mistakenly) bought our son a cheap new shape Mini as his first car, they are great cars to drive but the engine is utterly dreadful and has cost us a fortune and still won't pass the emissions test.

Apparently after about 100,000 miles that's it, better to scrap them. Majority of the local garages round here either say "no, won't touch it" or do the teeth sucking thing.

Used to have an old Polo, went on for years with minor issues that were easy to fix, (mainly by the side of the road).