The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Nippy A post bottom area fixing
A tip inspired by the Van build.
At the bottom of the Nippy A post there is an inner plate that extends forwards and forms a void between inner cill and outer body into which to drop screws!!
There is a filler wood flat against the plate and curved to outer body shape and tapering forwards.  A coach bolt goes through the wood from the inside and right through the plate and cill to emerge under the car floor where a nut is fitted  This is holding body together and securing Wood A frame.  The plate extends round the inside of the wood and curves slightly over the rearward face fixed with wood screws and I think panel nails.
The wood shrinks and over time the bolt becomes loose in the wood so that the square at the top no longer stops the bolt from turning --- so much frustration trying to tighten the nut.
When rebuilding mine it occurred to me to weld a hex head bolt to a small square plate with a hole in each corner so plate can screw to wood filler and will never turn, also braces...a long spanner can be put on bolt head while nut is tightened.....plenty room between wood and outer body skin.
I seem to remember there are other such places where fastening is put in from inside.......remember the cars were not built to last this long......especially when used in trials.

.jpg   SCN_0007.jpg (Size: 73.36 KB / Downloads: 164)