The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The ‘Welsh’ 53 years ago!
Hi All

With our South Wales Rally coming up on the 10th and 11th June I had a trawl back through Grey Mags to find the earliest write up. 1970!!

Are the names in this the ‘usual suspects’ that post on here??

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   1970 Welsh Medium.jpeg (Size: 116.82 KB / Downloads: 528)
I think this photo may have been from an earlier Welsh Rally - I have it labelled as 1969, but it may even be from 1968. Taken in the Elan Valley, John Fitch is leaning against the wall on the left, Ian Dunford can be seen to the left of the Ruby in the centre, and I think that's John Ward in the white shirt on the right:

Hi Mike

The South Wales Club was formed in 1970 so your photo is probably organised by others?

Tremendous photo and I know that location very well. The March VSCC run went up the Elan valley then on to Cwmystwyth ending in Aberaeron.

Cheers

Howard
Mike's photo is almost certainly taken on one of my parents' BA7C Brecon runs. They organised the first in 1965, Ian may know more...
A slightly brighter picture seems to confirm John Ward on the right.

Attached Files
.jpg   welsh.jpg (Size: 301.56 KB / Downloads: 326)
Hmmm... I'm pretty sure I didn't do a Brecon Run, so maybe this is from 1970 - certainly all the key players are present. The second car behind the Ruby is Dave Wortley's chummy which may help to date it, as I think Dave didn't complete its restoration until 1969 or 1970, so maybe May/June 1969 is too early? Then the red RK is that of Mike and Anne Pilgrim, and Tony's chummy is behind that. The square roof of my van can just be seen next to Dave's chummy.
The Brecon Run was also held in March, when snow was normally on the ground still.

This is not taken at that time of year, another theory bites the dust.
Mike, I think it was 1970 because I was using my Ruby then as the chummy wasn’t quite finished.

Not very clear! In 1969 I was using the Ruby so the photo must be 1970.
Thanks, Dave, for confirming my suspicions!
Here's another photo from the same weekend. The original transparency was desperately over-exposed and filthy, but Tony has done a good job of rescuing it; both cars are now in Tony's garage: