The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wheel nut size
I’m looking for a wheel brace on eBay but not sure of the size or it’s metric equivalent 
Any thoughts ?
A7 wheel nuts are 3/8" BSF; my advice would be to steer clear of metric equivalents and hunt down the right tool for the job. There are usually a few A7 wheel braces knocking around at most autojumbles (though I must say I tend to use a socket and extension bar on mine).
Hi

To the best of my knowledge, the "Across Flats" spanner size for prewar A7 3/8 BSF wheel nuts is 19/32 inch or 0.59375 inches or 15.08125 mm

My 15mm twelve point metric socket is theoretically 0.003 inches too small, but it fits happily.

However, I normally use a "proper" A7 wheelbrace, and have a collection of BSF and BSW spanners and sockets culled cheaply from the local car boot sale.
The other aspect of using the correct wheel brace is it will tend to encourage the right torque to be applied to the nuts.
Hugh, I second that about using an A7 wheel brace. I inherited one when I bought my car but didn’t use it for a number of years as I thought it was too small and would not tighten the nuts sufficiently. I finally tried it and found it worked ok. I had been over tightening my wheel nuts for years no wonder the wheel nuts kept stripping threads.

John Mason.
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
If you don't have any luck, I have a regular supply of original wheel braces and other Austin Seven tools available.
Bought this item and it doesn’t fit 
It measures about 18mm and the wheel nuts measure about 16mm?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's because it's for an Austin A30/35 and not an Austin 7.

This is what the real A7 wheelbrace looks like:

[Image: OIP.IP3dOxhTITFQKylJt-SgsQHaFj?pid=ImgDet&rs=1]
The thread pitch might well be 3/8" BSF (British Standard Fine) but the size of the hexagon nut on an A30/A35 is larger than that on an A7. As John posted earlier, across the flats of the Austin 7 wheel nut is 19/32" - which is 0.59375 inches or 15.08125 mm. The best advice? Find and use a genuine A7 wheel brace - and check the nuts regularly.
Reckers
I don't think that's an Austin 7 brace, perhaps a Big 7, but are often offered on ebay as Austin 7 and I fear might be too large to fit?
The 7 brace is simpler, it does 't have the wooden 'sleeve' in the centre hand hold area and the shape is even, rather than offset.

Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!