The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Another delightful item added to the Archive
Over the weekend, I was offered high quality scans of a copy of the Austin 7 Brochure, 'Motoring at Tram Fare' which we do not have in our collection. The owner, Rory Gibbs, is an aspiring Austin 7 owner and had visited the Archive a number of times, appreciating what is being done. I thought this the most generous offer and gratefully accepted it.

The individual page scans have now been assembled into PDF format ready for publication along with a tranche of some 30 or so new Brochures, Handbooks and Parts Lists and other ephemera.. I am hoping that that will be achieved in the next couple of weeks. I will post a further update when that takes place so you can all look at the new items. Some really interesting stuff to come...

Hugh

Well done, Rory Gibbs!
Looks delightful. Thank you very much Rory.
So a Trojan is cheaper than walking, but Sevens are cheaper than the tram! Many thanks to Rory.
A really lovely acquisition. I just could not help myself.....

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Tony, when you said you could not help yourself, I thuoght for a moment you were about to give us the number of the tram, and the depot it was allocated to. Whew, narrow anorak moment miss then.
(06-02-2023, 10:46 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: A really lovely acquisition. I just could not help myself.....

Well, I suppose it's a Birmingham tram. Like those in Sheffield, they appear to have been run, unchanged, for several decades. The picture shows one taken in 1950. The story of Birmingham trams and tram companies - a complicated one. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Birmingham...n_Tramways

Attached Files
.jpg   Birmingham tram.jpg (Size: 118.99 KB / Downloads: 210)
What's the betting that Route 38 went to Longbridge?

.jpg   1938 Bristol Road Longbridge.JPG (Size: 53.67 KB / Downloads: 199)
Is it dated Hugh? That looks to be a fairly early car.
The Gaumont cinema opened 1931 as the Gaumont Palace and was at one time Birmingham's premier cinema. It was demolished in 1983 and a large insurance office now sits on the site. The address was Colmore Circus and the trams are off to Stechford area of the city.
The other pictures show the A38 Bristol road out of the city towards Longbridge. 1972 Golden Jubilee participants will recall the road run from central Birmingham along the Bristol Road to Longbridge and then out to Lickey Grange. The trams had a wide central reservation to run on. Many Austin workers will have used them. I traveled on them many times to visit Grandparents and the hard ride and noise and thrill is still with me.