The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 2.67 Average
Building my first Austin Seven car
You're not messing about there Daisy!
Making me feel rather embarrassed for sitting on my backside drinking wine instead of completing my new garage...
I'm going to have my fist go at building a complete engine in the New Year, so will doubtless be referring to your excellent picture diary.
I'm expecting your motor to be lots better than that coupe your Dad has just built.
All the best
Steve
Hi Daisy
How did you and your dad decide what pistons to use and whether or not to rebore the block?
I am putting together a top end and have done exactly as you have but have stopped before putting in the guides as I am not sure about a rebore. I also like the tool you have used for lining up the guides.
Oh and thanks for the kind words about blacksmithing, I can definitely recommend having a go. it is great fun and you will always have a good source of Christmas presents for the family and you don't need muscles to do it, it's all about technique not raw muscle power.
Andy
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Brilliant, Daisy. Very well done. Some people think that what you've just done today should take no time at all but, in reality, doing it properly as you have does take time.The difference is that doing it the way you have means that you'll end up with an engine that runs very well and will do for many, many years. Those that rush it and skimp don't achieve that. Looking forward to the next instalement.

Steve
(05-11-2022, 08:33 PM)Daisy Dunford Wrote: Thanks cosmic nick

Thanks for the booklets tony and Anne looking forward to reading them

Hi andy I’ve made a meccano model of the car with my friend Fraser (who also has an Austin seven)but might change the design i will let you know what my new design will be. My dad says that you are a black smith and keep bees which sounds like a really cool. Thanks for your message 
From Daisy

Thanks for the message, Hugh I really appreciate it

Thanks you for your comment Austin in the shed, it’s good to know that I’m not the only one that made that mistake

Thanks for the comment Alan, my dad says you worked for bentley, my great, great, grandfather drove Bentleys for a living

Colin, my dad says you live in New Zealand, I’ve never been there but my mum has and she says it’s amazing. Thanks for the comment

Thank you to everyone who is being positive about what I’ve done so far. I really appreciate it

If I’ve missed anybody out, sorry, I still appreciate your comments

A pleasure, Daisy. I hope that you enjoy them - and  I'm sure some of the data will come in useful as you progress to becoming a master craftswoman.
Wow Daisy,If you are able to do all this at your age there's no limit to what you'll be able to do by the time you become an adult.
i know of someone else who grew up in his dads workshop,went on to get a degree in engineering all helped by practical actual work experience.I believe he now works on advanced hydraulic applications,when I spoke to him about graduate engineers he was quite scathing of the fact although they could design something on CAD they had no idea how to manufacture it
So Daisy, pistons soon to go in.  I wonder do you remember those lessons at the kitchen table when you were a bit younger......tap tap tap.

Dennis
Hi Dennis, yes I do remember those lessons on tap, tap, taping. The first thing I asked my dad when we started the block was, is this a tap, tap, tap. I’m so excited for the day when we start taping!
very interested in this Daisy - I will be following in your footsteps one day (and also good on you for selling poppies with the guides!)
Today we did the front axle.  Dad had already bent a straight axle so the car is lower to the ground.

We tested the discs for cracks, luckily there were none.

Dad had also made the holes smaller so we had to make the right size again.

We checked the holes were parallel.

Then put the axle in the grey lathe and cut the top and bottom of the holes to make sure they were flat and smooth.  I put my hat on and my sleeves up , Sandy!

We had to make sure all the holes were round.

Next we had to bash out the brass bit and then put in new ones.

I used a special reamer that had two end.

The pin was really smooth and I could turn it with my fingers.

I had already made sure the thread was clean, this was really tricky.

We got rid of a bit that was in the way.

We put the disc in the axle, this was tricky as well.

We put the brake linings on but was not heavy enough for the machin and dad had to stand on the pedal too.

We put the arms on and the hubs and the drums    

I put a spring on and did up the nuts, then we painted it.

Wow, and wow! Some very impressive work there. Enthusiasm with a project and a good teacher makes so much difference If you aren't aware of it now (I'm sure you are) you'll realise that are incredibly fortunate to have such an opportunity. I would have loved that chance in my dim and distant youth.
One small tip if I may, when you're tapping with a lighter hammer, if you rest your first finger along the shaft you'll achieve much more accurate blows. Give it a try.
Crack on and please keep us informed as you go.