The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.28 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedants' Corner
Chris, I hope what he actually said was 'No, you MAY not'  Cool
Ah, what a great thread ... this is right up my boulevard. I might not exactly have the T-shirt but I do have the cap!
[Image: CSCPedantInChief.jpg]

My current bête noire is Richard Osman's BBC quiz show House of Games where the scoreboard is a "leaderboard"; a single empty suitcase is "luggage"; salt and pepper grinders are "shakers"; each day's winner is the "champion"; his button, with no audible function, is a "buzzer"; a second pass along the contestants is "going back down the line". I think Mr Osman is an entertaining person (and a good author) but he does seem to make a special effort to avoid using the correct words.
This was amusing for a day or two but I do agree with Howard. I certainly would not want anyone to think this was meant to be anything other than a bit of innocent fun with modernisms. Perhaps we need to put it in the same category as Politics and Religion and put the thread to bed in the near future.
Not before I make my favourite grumble, when 'of' replaces 'have'. As in could of, would of, should of, etc.
Plurals made by the infernal apostrophe are annoying, though sometimes I think that teaching isn't what it was. For example, a friend wrote that they had dinner with us, at the French's. I gently told him that we are the Frenches, he had no idea how to form a plural.
Stanley Edge once said to me.
"Near enough is never near enough "
I am one of the challenged by correct english.
I managed to get grade 5 CSE english language and ungraded CES english Lit.
O levels in Woodwork and Metalwork though.
I was in my forties when Dyslexia was suggested.
I quite happily built my first Austin Seven engine at the age of 16.
I take no offense at anything regarding these thing's !!!
If I had to write this with a pen I would not be able to read it let alone anyone else managing. Unless I write in capital letters !!
Hi Howard,
I'm too busy getting worked up about the pronunciation of Omicron. I maintain it should be a long O as in Omega and an EE as in
Oh-mi-cron rather than Ommickron to be concerned about anyone else's feelings!
(29-11-2021, 05:02 PM)Ian Dunford Wrote: Stanley Edge once said to me.
"Near enough is never near enough "
Jack L. Warner (of Warner Brothers) said, "I don't want it good. I want it Tuesday".
I was never formally diagnosed with dyslexia, but I would be unable to do my job without a little assistance from the spell checker on my laptop, I struggle to read out loud and my writing suggests that I may have missed my true vocation as a GP. As a student, I was forced to take 'remedial English for engineers' classes. I now write to put food on the table.

It's often an ex-smoker that most vehemently encourages others to quit. 

If any of you Austin friends are greengrocers, please accept my apology for being insensitive.
(29-11-2021, 03:29 PM)Ian Wegg Wrote: Ah, what a great thread ... this is right up my boulevard. I might not exactly have the T-shirt but I do have the cap!

Since this is a thread for pedants... shouldn't "Pedant-in-Chief" be hyphenated?
Rick

In deepest Norfolk