The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
fitting luggage rack to 7 RP box
I have a 1933 RP box.
I recently purchased a folding luggage hamper rack at the Glamis Extravaganza, I noted similar racks on  Austin 7 and 10s at the Extravaganza
Having rubbed off the rust, painted it and oiled the connectors, I have made up a mount to attach to the bolts holding the "rear bumper"
(It's not really a "bumper" is it, but it holds my number plate and rear lights)
Anyway, I can see how the rack folds in the middle for stowage and presumably should be held with bungee cords to the spare wheel.
My problem is that when it is the down position, the rear section folds down instead of remaining horizontal with the front section.
An obvious solution is to drill holes in it and fix with bolts, possibly with wing nuts for easy stowage when I'm finished using it.
However, those bolt holes are not in it now, so that cannot be the way it was meant to work.
Does anyone have a suggestion on how to secure it when in the down position?
I have attached a photo of it.
Those straps holding the numberplate were originally attached with the petrol tank by two brackets each with a pair of rivets direct to the floor.  Unless your car has been modified with some sort of strengthened brackets (preferably extensions connected to the rear of the chassis) then I wouldn't put any extra weight on the assembly at all, not even an empty luggage rack!  The rear floor is too flimsy to carry any more than the petrol tank, especially if rusted.
The number plate and lights are on a metal band bolted in two places on either side of the body, along with the petrol tank. 
I assumed these bolts attached to the chassis. I have not tried to remove them yet as I want to know exactly what I'm doing before I start!
These bolts are behind the wheels which I will have to remove in order to attach the 3mm angle iron I'm intending to use to support both the existing metal band and the luggage rack I want to fit.
I thought that should be strong enough. You say that these bolts are into brackets on the floor, not the chassis.
Would it be easy enough to fit a cross member attached to the chassis in order to strengthen the mount?
If so, is there an alternative fixing position.
Assuming the mount is strong enough or could be made so, my question was how to stop the rack hinging down when in use.
Peter
 The RP petrol tank mounting is unsuited to any levered loading. The true chassis ceases far forward of the axle, but the rear of an RP is self supporting assisted by a light  (often fractured)  chassis extension bracket. Many RPs have been fitted with aftermarket bumpers or carrier brackets. These usually bolt through the inner guards just above the floor under the rear seat, and for the depth of the seat base. Straight rearward extensions are generally somewhat high; need to step down an inch or two. Will be photos on gallery.
Thank you for the very helpful comments on the need for an extension to the chassis in order to support the rear carrier. I will definitely look into this and welcome any further comments on that subject.

However, my original question has not been answered, so if I may state it again.
Assuming that I have adequate support for the luggage carrier, by attaching extensions to the chassis in some way -
How is the rear hinged section of the carrier held horizontal when in use? Clearly the hinge is of value when the carrier is folded away in a vertical position, but when down the rear section hangs down. I can easily bodge a solution, but how was this design intended to work originally?
I think the answer to your question depends on the design of luggage rack you have.
There is as far as I know no 'standard' luggage rack for the RP so I assume this is an after market one.
A picture of what you have would help.
Jim
(24-07-2018, 12:28 PM)AustinWood Wrote: I think the answer to your question depends on the design of luggage rack you have.
There is as far as I know no 'standard' luggage rack for the RP so I assume this is an after market one.
A picture of what you have would help.
I thought I had attached a photo to my original post - I'm not sure what happened to it but it did not appear.
I will try again now!

sorry, it's upside down! I was planning on using the perforated angle iron to attach it to the car with side pieces to join on to the petrol tank bracker. The gist of the replies that I have received is - don't do that!
Now I have two questions. Where and how can I attach to the chassis, and as originally posted, how does the carrier in the image lock horizontally?

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Unfortunately I can't help regarding either of your two questions - A) positioning on what little chassis extension rail there actually is aft of the rear crossmember (bearing in mind the rear crossmember is some way forward of the rear axle)  or B) how the carrier locks into position horizontally - the first catalogue illustration below may be of help in that regard. As with AustinWood, I'm not aware of any RP Saloon luggage racks having been produced by the Austin Motor Co. themselves.

The 'Aftermarket' motor accessory companies however obviously did, as can be seen from this 1938 Motor Factors Catalogue - the "SUPER EASYFIT" grid no. SE/8N would appear to have been specifically made to fit the RP Saloon and '35 Tourer - back then of course the luggage rack brackets would be bolting to virtually new bodywork / floorpan steel - 80 odd years on that steel is very much thinner and a lot less strong hence everyones concern at trying to attach a luggage grid together with the weight of any luggage you may wish to carry to the body / floorpan steel. The one you've bought at Glamis may not of course be a model SE/8N or equivalent aftermarket A7 rack so your attachment brackets may differ and the pressed steel grid itself could be wider - I notice yours has five open pressings, the one on the left in the catalogue presumably meant for smaller sized cars like the Seven has four. Sorry I can't be of more help - hopefully an RP saloon owning forum member with a luggage rack fitted may be along soon to advise.           

Also of interest, the EASYFIT "MIDGET" single fold grids were available for the Austin 7 1927/28 Gordon England Saloons, 1928/29 Mulliner Fabric Saloons and the 1933/34 RP Saloon / 1935 Tourer. The platform measurement was 29.5" x 9.5".

Father fitted a luggage rack to the RP. Made some substantial angle iron brackets bolted to the chassis extentions to do so. It is still on it if you want me to crawl under it this weekend and photograph. No floor damage.

On the other hand I fitted an identical luggage rack to what I thought were fairly substantial angle iron brackets mounted to the rear floor only. Which I then subsequently modified (and weakened I suppose) to fit nobby spring assistors. The floor is bent and split. To be fair i carried more than I shoukd have done on the rack (5wheels and tyres). Its on the to do list, but not priority
Thanks I'd be delighted to see the underbody photograph of your dad's chassis extension.
I thought it would be a striaghtforward task to attach the luggage rack to the petrol tank brackets but clearly that is not a good idea.
That was something I could have done myself, but I think my friendly local garage round the corner may be required if chassis extensions are needed.
Peter