The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fuel reserve tap accessory
Hi all.
I am wanting to make a fuel reserve tap to fit to my AD seven. I know that this was an accessory available for when the cars were in use and would like to fit one to mine.
Does anyone have any photos showing the general arrangement and the dimensions ? Once I know this I can draw up some working drawings to make one.
Thanks.
Stephen
http://www.da7c.co.uk/technical_torque_a...l_tap.html

This looks like the image you're after

...but rather than making something from scratch, would it not be easier to start with a vertical motorcycle tap with a reserve and add a 45degree bend to the reserve inlet as per the tap pictured here so it would work horizontally?
I think the AD tourer has the earier type of fuel tank that is recessed into the bulkhead. This goes in the long scuttle body, 1926 to 1929. The outlet comes out horizontally and then turns 90 degrees downwards.
In that case the reserve tap described won't fit.
If it is the later type of tank that sits on the ledge on the bulkhead the outlet goes straight downwards and that tap will work.
Jim
Hi all. This is the fuel reserve tap I was after information on:

.jpg   Two Level Attachment.JPG (Size: 31.98 KB / Downloads: 323)

Thanks,
Stephen
(20-01-2024, 10:40 PM)Steve Bryant Wrote: Hi all. This is the fuel reserve tap I was after information on:

Thanks,
Stephen

I see, it mounts externally. Are you going to replicate it exactly - and perhaps make a small batch?
Hi Tony. At the moment I'm just trying to get a feel for the intricacies of the tap and whether or not I can make one. As yet I've not seen any photos of the actual unit or heard about how well it worked.
Cheers,
Stephen
Hi Steve

The tap you show a sketch of is for the later slab tank with the outlet under the edge of the tank.  I think it may be difficult to adapt for your D shaped scuttle tank that has a horizontal entry.

In any case your tank is quite small (mine take about 3 1/2 imperial gallons each fill giving a range of about 150 miles) so a spare can would be more useful.  I use a (sort of) wing mounted can containing about 1/2 imperial gallon, so far I’ve never needed to use it.  Duncan Grimmond makes a very nice spare fuel tank see this thread..https://www.austinsevenfriends.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?tid=6678

Cheers

Howard
Howard, 
   Steve is correct, the reserve tap accessory made by Rotherham & Sons was for the D type petrol tank. I missed an original one at the Beaulieu autojumble a couple of years back. 

The outlet on the 'D' shaped tank comes out horizontally and then turne 90 degrees downwards.
That tap should work.
We are happy with a spare gallon can which extends the range. Petrol stations are getting fewer & further between.

Jim
Hi Robert

(And sorry Steve)

I realise now that the tank output goes to the BSP inlet on the right and the outlet to the carb is at the bottom but I still can’t quite work out of it works?  Sorry if I’m a bit thick but could you elaborate?

Cheers

Howard