The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hydraulic rear dampers on an "Ulster replica"
Something that I've not seen before. What appear to be hydraulic rear dampers on an "Ulster replica". 

https://www.carandclassic.com/classic_ca...gn=website

My apologies for the picture links that didn't work. below are the two photographs that matter. The original friction dampers are discarded in their entirety and the hydraulic units fitted to some sort of chassis extension.
It's stated that "...the vendor is a young engineer and works on high-end classic and supercars for a living." Well, if I had a Super Car, based on the details in the pictures, I'd not let him within a hundred miles of it.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Firstly I have been in the workshop, this is now a rather late breakfast. So secondly one can look at the iPad and see various things including this huge amount of charm. One of those occasions when an enthusiastic builder/vendor could talk Seven bits and indicate what fun could be had from a semiUlster, instead of which there is a cringe description by someone who should go back to their day job describing bungalows in Essex. As for Tony’s question, I cannot see any back axle location at all. Lucky the builder didn’t put an hc head on or back axles would be left on the start line.
It's OK Steve I eventually found it, quite a nice car let down by poor details like the post 1932 gas lever having no thread for the horn button and those headlights.
My apologies for the picture links that didn't work. below are the two photographs that matter. The original friction dampers are discarded in their entirety and the hydraulic units fitted to some sort of chassis extension.
It's stated that "...the vendor is a young engineer and works on high-end classic and supercars for a living." Well, if I had a Super Car, based on the details in the pictures, I'd not let him within a hundred miles of it. I'd employ Dave Mann.
(30-07-2023, 06:38 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: It seems that the original friction dampers are not used. Instead, a single arm goes from the usual location of the back axle to the damper unit. Of course, the "young" builder has omitted to fit a locking nut of the arm pin.

And grease nipples to the rear spring bushes.
I think we will see more descriptions like this as inexperienced (re A7s) vendors reach out to chat GPT AI to provide the most effective spiel.

This will have the effect of promoting long held cliches as the bots will repeat anything found in several sources
This is an AI-developed description. Any better?
If you believe that the art of car modification is a recent trend, then prepare to be astonished, for this captivating practice has been entrenched in the hearts of automotive enthusiasts for a multitude of years.
Through the annals of time, fervent car aficionados have tirelessly endeavoured to bestow upon their beloved vehicles an unprecedented allure and relentless velocity. Among the pioneers of this transformative movement emerged the unassuming yet iconic Austin Seven, a diminutive marvel that heralded Britain's entry into the realm of automotive excellence, becoming an early focal point for the burgeoning modification scene.
Like a thriving tapestry of automotive ardour, the cult of customizing Austin Sevens flourished with unbridled vivacity, as these accessible and economically favourable automobiles were metamorphosed into homegrown racers or rugged trials cars, their metamorphic journey defying the ordinary.
Such was the zenith of this fervour that Austin, with a keen eye on this seething passion, birthed its very own performance-oriented models, meticulously crafted to exalt in competitive arenas. The first in line, the illustrious Super Sport, and subsequently, in 1929, the beguiling 'Ulster,' an eponym paying homage to the prestigious Tourist Trophy race hosted in the verdant embrace of Northern Ireland's province. The cherished 'Ulster' manifested itself in a limited run of 168 factory-produced boat-tailed specimens, now treasured as veritable relics of automotive history, bestowing upon them a covetous aura in the contemporary era.
Today, in a realm where temporal boundaries blur, a splendid replica of this revered marvel graces the automotive landscape, born of the ardour of a young and impassioned enthusiast. This magnificent recreation has been masterfully assembled upon the skeletal frame of a Tourer, which had long reclined in slumber, dormant since the bygone days of 1967. Rejuvenated with tender care and exceptional skill, this resplendent replica stands as a testament to the beauty of craftsmanship and the enduring allure of automotive history.
With an aura that evokes awe and admiration, this truly resplendent marvel stands as an epitome of automotive artistry, an exquisite symphony of form and function, captivating all who lay their eyes upon it.
Though we might add: "And yet, in this grand cosmic tapestry of automotive existence, there exists a whisper, a fleeting breath of uncertainty that flirts with the edges of the dreaded abyss. Like shadows cast upon the moonlit landscape, these aspects evoke trepidation, a lingering fear of potential descent into the realm of dismay. Thus, the panorama of this vehicular odyssey emerges as a mosaic of emotions, an embodiment of the human spirit striving for perfection while embracing the imperfections that define our shared journey. Within this mosaic, each fragment plays a crucial role, contributing to the symphony of existence, where excellence, goodness, fairness, and apprehension coalesce in a transcendent expression of automotive artistry."
Tony, now that you have unearthed the evidence it's a job to know what to say! Rear axle location is obviously considered something old fashioned for hairdressers How do the rear brakes operate? Next time I try to sell a Seven, I will use wallpaper paste to attach four hundred and thirty seven invoices and receipts from Jamie, David Cochrane, messrs Hodgson, Betts, Dunford and McKenzie and all to the wall of the study. to demonstrate what a fortune the little darling has cost. Or as the ad might say "to share the investment opportunity experience."

added; Blimey, that's an interesting thousand words you have just slipped in there! Still says nowt about rear axle location though.
It looks like he's use coach bolts on the s/a arm!
I know that the works fitted Luvax dampers to the front of cars in the 1931 season.
I’ve never thought until now whether they were *only* on the front.

Charles