The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mobile phone mountings
Hi Reckers

I fabricated a stainless steel mount for my phone a couple of years back.  I’ve since upgraded and now the phone is in a case that is a pain to remove  Angry.

Here is a shot of the mount. Note it’s offset at the bottom to allow the charge cable. Like you I have a 6 to 12 volt step up transformer for the phone and the electronic rev counter.

I find it useful to check speed with a speedometer app.

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   B2F5FD0B-1579-472B-AF0E-017A84BCADB7.jpeg (Size: 100.14 KB / Downloads: 278)

.jpeg   74CCA97F-5DB9-4FF2-9103-C00E2CEAF0DA.jpeg (Size: 98.65 KB / Downloads: 277)
It's something like that I need, but I'd prefer not to have to do any drilling.
Hi Reckers

Bolt one of these to it and it should stick to your dash  Smile. It’s a strong magnet. Lots on the bay of E.

Cheers

Howard

.jpeg   686DC57F-EB11-4D02-9AC7-FCA53278D194.jpeg (Size: 105.98 KB / Downloads: 262)
If I’m driving somewhere, where I need to use the Satnav, I just set the destination, press go and throw the iPhone in the glove box and it talks me through the entire route, no need for unsightly clamps, suckers or magnets!

What’s more, you don’t make the mistake of taking your eyes off the road to look at it!
(13-08-2022, 01:40 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(13-08-2022, 01:27 PM)David Stepney Wrote: Why do you want to mount a mobile phone in an Austin Seven? When I drive, I  ignore it and deal with any callers or messages when I have stopped.  It's nice to get away from the bl**dy thing for a bit!
It's not to answer the phone, it's to use the built-in SatNav - Google Maps, the iPhone maps App, TomTom, etc. Very effective and the first two are "free". It's probably that, in an A7, you won't be needing: https://www.pocketgpsworld.com/ but in your modern, it's a great asset.

I must live in the dark ages. I have had the same phone (a Nokia 6300) for at least 10 years or more. It has buttons on the front an makes and receives phone calls and texts. The kids all have smart phones but I am completely baffled by them. (Smart phones and the kids![Image: biggrin.png])
For me, it's just belt & braces. If I'm going somewhere I've not been before I will research the route and even look at Google maps/street view to get an idea in my head where I want to be and where the main route changes are. I won't place my trust blindly in any sat-nav because they can and do take you on some wierd & wonderful roads, but it's nice to have the assurance it brings when you're in uncharted territory. The only problem I have is that my current mount won't fit on the screen parallel to it, it's designed for a sloping windscreen. I think what I might do is take it to bits and cobble up some kind of support similar to Howard's and see where we go from there. Either that or drive with the windscreen open....

Thanks for your input.
Hi Reckers,
This is my system, I use an old phone case with three strong magnets stuck to the back of the case.
It is then magnetically attaches to the steel strip above the windscreen in between the mirror and wiper motor.
I only use it as a speedometer when driving, although it still works as a phone.

Roger

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(14-08-2022, 06:01 PM)Roger Wrote: Hi Reckers,
This is my system, I use an old phone case with three strong magnets stuck to the back of the case.
It is then magnetically attaches to the steel strip above the windscreen in between the mirror and wiper motor.
I only use it as a speedometer when driving, although it still works as a phone.

Roger

That's a really good idea. I've had my iPhone for 6 years now and always kept it in a padded case (teenagers seem to get through one a year). As it's now a virtual antique, I'll stick a small magnet from an old hard drive on the back (of the case) and give it a go. BTW for phone cases, I reckon there is little to beat the Otterbox range.
A word of warning about the fallibility of Google Maps. We were driving north on the A1 and were forced to exit at a junction due to the whole thing being closed for some very well established road works. Google got quite cross, insisting we should return to our route up the A1.
In the modern I have one of those clips with a magnet on it and a steel disk stuck to the back of the case.

With a steel dash on the seven, I have found that one of those largish rare earth magnets stuck to the back has enough stick to hold the phone in place no problem. You just have to be a little careful about scratching the paint. I use a tissue to act as a barrier.

My magnet is pretty big, 60mm dia and about 15mm thick so its pretty strong. I had bought it for other purposes and it became free.