The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
late RP Standard and De Luxe / Stock Colours / definition of "black top"
I suspect that there are very few (if any) RNs or RPs with their original paint and thus the brochures are now the only thing (apart from people's memories) that can give us any idea of what the cars were like new. I was always under the impression that the saloons up until the advent of the RP saloons had black tops.
Thank you for the detailed answers and the lovely photos. Your cars look stunning. As a nerdy rivet-counter the question of the right colour lines and colours keeps me awake. Especially because sometimes German Club members ask me how to paint / design their cars. Taking into consideration that a good paintjob is perhaps the most expensive aspect of a car's restoration (especially if the car is small) mistakes should be avoided.
I have tried to digitally design my 1934 RP in the possible colour schemes - the question of the upper bonnet still vaguely answered - and hope that this will help to keep Austins original in the future.
 A first draft at low resolution shows the possibilities (the focus lies on the colours less on details of the chassis). I keep on working on this project - my humble contribution the the centenary...

[Image: AVvXsEipA6fpCD7q34PrVX1KhRvnFyrcqVt2t7XL...=w640-h344]
This is interesting subject as here also us a deluxe RP with a black top to the bonnett. 

Ive seen very few RP's sporting original paint, those that i have seen were all black and therefore of no help. 

Has anyone got any photos of RP's in original paint with the colour on top of the bonnet?
    Not a de lux but my friends Standard RP which has been that colour for the last 60 years.
Period photos of RPs seem to be thin on the ground, but here are ones from the Friends' Gallery, which would all appear to support the coloured bonnet top theory:

.jpg   1933 RP saloon.JPG (Size: 115.03 KB / Downloads: 213)

.jpg   1934 RP saloon 1.JPG (Size: 65.58 KB / Downloads: 213)

.jpg   1934 RP saloon 2.JPG (Size: 100.37 KB / Downloads: 213)

The trouble is black and white photos don't show the colour scheme very well; the second two pics are of the same car but appear to have different colour schemes!
and if the RP was painted blue, the original dark blue I revealed on my car when I rubbed it down in the 70s was almost black in its hue...

Some definitive proof that at least one RP had 'body colour' bonnet top... (though actually, I have noticed that this is an RN)

.jpg   RP.jpg (Size: 308.83 KB / Downloads: 191)

.jpg   RP2.jpg (Size: 324.33 KB / Downloads: 188)
The more answers in form of messages and photos come in the more I am tending to even improve the drawing as far as the chassis is concerned... but now back to the question of whether the bonnet was painted in the body's colour or whether it was black. 
Very convincing photos and very helpful. My car was painted with a coloured bonnet but without the lines. The restoration was about 30 years ago and can hardly remember why we didn't want to have the lines in red for our maroon body colour... Shame on us. I really would like to add them... perhaps this year ;-). 
Just one simple question. The standard did not have a sliding roof, the de luxe had it included?
Once again thank you for your helpful answers and photos.
Frank
Correct - the Standard Saloon did not have a sliding roof. The De Luxe was fitted with one
Yes, Frank. Standard only had a "smoker's hatch" a small ventilator about 20cm x 10cm. The De-Luxe had the Pitchley sliding sunroof. I believe also that the De-Luxe had twin coachlines and the Standard just the one. (Mine has none because I've never got round to it).

Standard - rubber floor mats, De-Luxe had carpets (also on the bottom parts of the door cards)
Standard - vinyl or Rexine for the upholstery, the De-Luxe had leather.
Headlamps - Standard were painted black, - De-Luxe were chrome plated.
Hmm - carpets on the De Luxe? I thought that only related to such things as the door bottoms etc. I thought even the De Luxe still had rubber mats (at least mine did when I bought it in 1970 and was still largely original).

One other question I would like to raise with Frank, the number of colour varieties in his illustration. The April 1934 Brochure here:

http://www.archive.a7ca.org/wp-content/u..._1030B.pdf

shows only 10 different model options, including both Standard and De Luxe saloons, whereas Frank's drawing shows 12 different cars. The drawing wont expand up when I click on it, so I can't make any further observations...