The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Petition to stop E10 fuel
(16-12-2021, 05:56 PM)Mike Costigan Wrote: My elderly 'modern' is supposedly OK with E10 fuel, but monitoring the fuel consumption over the last few months shows about a 10% increase since the E10 introduction; E5 is readily available round here at a 7% mark-up, so I'll be using that in future.

In the early 90's I owned a Toyota mr2 which averaged around 37 mpg on the then leaded fuel,when I filled it with unleaded it only managed around 33 1/2 mpg.
Changing to a Peugeot 205 turbo diesel I made up a chart to check its mpg and pence /liter on diesel ,I think it started at 37p/liter to 45p/liter ! The best I ever got was about 50 mpg.
I think if the government could get away making it E50 because it's green they would do.
As mentioned above, there seem to be new and very tight regulations regarding the sale of red diesel, TVO and Avgas. Not that I would run a 2CV let alone a Seven on TVO, but if I had a grey Fergie it would require what seems to be formal registration as a farmer, or, gosh what a surprise, a golf club to allow filling a can from our local fuel man. His views on the additional paperwork and occasional descent by inspectors to double check everything  are luckily in Welsh but otherwise too rude to write here.
Aspen 4 is an option... its petrol Jim but not as we know it
Aspen 4 alkylate petrol is excellent stuff being pretty much untainted by additives but at £20+ per gallon…
I use in it small quantities for laying up after draining the fuel system as it stops things drying out and doesn’t attack Mazac or brass or fibre seals.
I used to run my grey Fergie on home made TVO. 1 gallon central heating oil mixed with with 3/4 gallon petrol. The real stuff was unobtainable at the time. Seemed to work fine.....
Objecting to E10 makes sense if you want to preserve the planet for future generations? Adding ethanol to fuel is doing nothing to reduce global warming - this is a fantasy? The sooner everyone gets real, the better.
Parazine, Hope you were no driving it on the road. Custom and excise ?

John Mason
Would you believe it "Her who must be obeyed" refers to my Ruby as the toy.
(18-12-2021, 10:06 AM)John Mason Wrote: Parazine,  Hope you were no driving it on the road. Custom and excise ?

John Mason

When did you last see a patrol car, never mind a C&E officer with or without a sniffer dog (or device)? ANPR has done away with the need to check MoT, road fund licence and Insurance documents so the "producer tickets" of my feckless youth have vanished.
Our local cop shop in the City of Ripon (pop.15,000 approx) closed down and moved into the Fire station, a money saving exercise I gather. I haven't seen a patrol bobby (with or without bicycle) for a year at least and judging by the number of vehicles with a faulty tail or brake light they no longer bother with minor infringements as the force is, as ever, underfunded and overworked.
While I was driving the Pembleton around with naked front wheels for two years, to and from the workshop and into town shopping I was never stopped or questioned. 
The days of sharp-nosed bobbies sniffing the smell of red diesel/petrol mixture coming from a Norton 16H or BSA M20 exhaust in a traffic queue are long gone!

PS I'm not suggesting we should all start lives of crime, most of us couldn't run fast enough anyway! Wink
(18-12-2021, 10:02 AM)Colin Morgan Wrote: Objecting to E10 makes sense if you want to preserve the planet for future generations?  Adding ethanol to fuel is doing nothing to reduce global warming - this is a fantasy?  The sooner everyone gets real, the better.

From my limited experience, yes it is fantasy. By using E10 I am now using 10% more fuel, so by my reckoning I am still burning the same amount of petrol and any ethanol in the fuel is a complete waste of resources.
Not only that - where does the ethanol come from? How much energy is involved in its production and transportation? Does it reduce the amount of food grown? Does it/will it affect the price of food? If people think they are driving 'green' cars, do they drive more? All this to burn something with a bit less carbon in it. So many questions...