The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedants' Corner
(07-12-2021, 09:56 AM)Reckless Rat Wrote: Double negatives, such as "I ain't done nuffink"

Duncan mentioned Mayanmar (previously Burma) in an earlier post. I have an AA badge in the RP which someone gave to me years and years ago, which I thought was Burmese. The post prompted me to research it and it turns out that it is actually from what is now Malaysia. It's exactly the same as this one, except is says Selanghor Pahang instead of Perak State. I presume just a different branch.

[Image: ca82e9c10266d7b742d045ad15b3c83c.jpg]

Ah Rekkers, double negatives, one of my favourite gripes. Mind you Chaucerians will know that The Canterbury Tales, that wonderful mix of Early English/Olde French and bits of Old Norse and loads more besides and recognised as a classic work of literature, is littered with double negatives (*and even at least one quadruple one - a characterisation of The Knight in The Prologue from memory) which tantalise when trying to work out what was actually being said! 
Is this going to be the year of Ye Newe Pedants’ Revolt?
What, Tyler?
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
Jolly chaps, Angles and Celts. Very sporting too, at the end of Saxon Straight the Colchester Circuit had Pedant’s Corner where Boudicca had a nasty spin in her chariot one year. Unaccountably, all the other competitors were slowed down by slight problems, allowing the queen to recover and cross the line in first position.
Actually it should be Which Tyler...
I'll get me coat
(07-12-2021, 01:06 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Jolly chaps, Angles and Celts. Very sporting too, at the end of Saxon Straight the Colchester Circuit had Pedant’s Corner where Boudicca had a nasty spin in her chariot one year. Unaccountably, all the other competitors were slowed down by slight problems, allowing the queen to recover and cross the line in first position.

Did not the stewards later rule that contra to FIA Reg 13 (a) iib that the sword blades fitted to her chariot hubs, exceeded the permitted length, and fined her 500 groats, five head of cattle, and made her winner's points forfeit?  As a result therefore, it was the second-, third- and fourth-placed yeomen who enjoyed the spraying of mead on the stone plinth, whilst she looked on...
(Methinks gadzooks, this particular faery story should be switched to Comedy Section perhaps - but only if it's funny...?)

(07-12-2021, 05:56 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: Actually it should be Which Tyler...
I'll get me coat
But Duncan, I was only asking Tyler a question )as per H.M who would never say Pardon?).
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
C A N Mays on his vellum "Wheelspyn" records that the stewards did indeed consider this. However, looking out of the stewards' hut and seeing that Boudicca's serfs were busy banging stakes into the ground, they hastily considered that the regs, being in Latin, only applied to Roman racers, and the queen was after all the winner.
Nobody never told me nothing about no tilers
So this yesterday, once again, someone approached me and said: “you do realise that Vikings didn’t have horns on their helmets“.

Me: “what do you mean Vikings”?

Him: “your hat”.

Me: “what do you mean”?

Him: “well it’s got horns”.

Me: “what’s that got to do with it"?

Him: “but isn’t it a Viking helmet”?

Me “but Vikings didn’t wear helmets like this so I don’t know what you mean"?

Torment a pendant, it eases the day.
I'm not alone...a letter in today's Guardian

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Right then Duncan, which Seven owning Grauniad reader will send off an email to the Editorial desk? Does the remaining Barclay brother allow such stuff in the Torygraph. As to the origins of the “style” should we regard it as semi, or sub, American, or home grown within the M25? Maybe this calls for a little research. A volunteer should put together a brief report written in what may be Adspeak, or Essex English, and submit it to Matthew Bell, Mike Tebbett and Roger Bugg. Which editor would be the first to return it covered in blue, or red pencil?
Research? I’ll give you research! I’ve got me ‘ead too far up me *rse to think about research…