The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedants' Corner
“ Revert back” is surely the responsibility of the Tautology Monitor, rather than falling into Pedants’ Corner, there being very much more than one Pedant.
“Normalcy “ as I remember it from the Chemistry lab.,was the state of being a “normal solution”. Not a substitute for normality.
(29-11-2021, 02:59 PM)Howard Wright Wrote: Hi All

Am I the only one that feels a bit uneasy about this thread?  Maybe I’m too sensitive but it appears that poking fun at those individuals that haven’t had the opportunity of good education or may have dyslexia or do not have English as their mother tongue is not in the best of taste.

I’d prefer it if we could concentrate on Austin Seven matters.

Cheers

Howard

A little, Howard. I fully accept there are those who simply can't handle grammar, spelling and punctuation, just as I'm completely useless at all sorts of other things; and I don't look down upon those people one bit. I'm less sure about those who can do it but can't be bothered. We are blessed with a sophisticated and beautiful language and I'd like to think that defending it against erosion and attack is justified. 

One of the greatest disservices ever done to mankind is the widespread notion that engineers don't need language skills. There can be few professions today where language skills are more important. I work daily with people from Turkey, Romania, Spain, Italy, France, India, Japan, Russia, China, Korea - yes, even Geordies - and the ability to communicate clearly and unambiguously (in English) is absolutely essential.

p.s. I wish someone would teach Radio 4 that "and, so, but and because never begin a sentence".

There's scarcely a sentence on the whole channel which doesn't start with "So..."
I don't think that this thread is mocking the unfortunate at all. I view it as a vent of some sort and it has stopped me shouting at the wireless. Pam is sick of telling me "They can't hear you..."

Precision as Chris has just said is important, no less so in language. Furthermore, this is not compulsory reading. It's no more malicious than pointing out that a track rod end is about to disintegrate and could cause a problem.

On the market in Ripon today there was a stall selling large rolls of black bin bags with a notice

Refuge sack's £2.50
Some time ago in Somerset, I saw a Mini number plate bearing the legend: "IF IM TO LOUD YOUR TO OLD".

Am I the only one that feels a bit uneasy about this thread?  Maybe I’m too sensitive but it appears that poking fun at those individuals that haven’t had the opportunity of good education or may have dyslexia or do not have English as their mother tongue is not in the best of taste.

Cheers

Howard

There don't seem to be many people sharing your uneasiness, Howard. I am very grateful to my parents and four elder brothers for speaking and writing a fairly good version of the queen's English as I was growing up. 

I despair though, at some people's attempts to communicate on facebook. Here are a few examples.

"Found a nos ot auto jumble last year cheap there about"

"How much was they last ones I've seen was £750 each"

"Wts Austin Cambridge. Located near Horsham vic. Body has plenty of rust Good donor car for someone who is doing an engine resto condition unknown but it does turn over with crank handle."

"Willing to part it out but would prefer to sell as it sits"

Cheers

Howard

Very well said Howard, there is much rudeness on this thread by people who really should know better, it has nothing to do with Austin sevens and I personally would like to see it removed.
Black Art Enthusiast
As stated before, this is not compulsory reading. People don't buy the Daily Mail to see Kier Starmer lauded nor do they buy the Daily Mirror to read paeans of praise for Boris Johnson. They used to buy Punch and some still buy Private Eye for a laugh though. I know I do..
(cont. p.96)
Many contributors have stated how much they enjoy what was supposed to be a humorous digression from tappet clearances, bearing scraping and points gaps (see what I did there?).
That said I would not wish to be considered rude or thoughtless and, as I started this thread perhaps it is time to wind it up. If this is the general view of forum members it will die a natural death for want of further posts.
If it continues to thrive however, the question as to its nature should be settled.
In this country everything now is through some lens.
English is remarkable in that persons can get by with the very minimum. Yet the total choice of words and shades of meaning is vast. Over the decades I have done a fair amount of writing making submissions to Council, govt etc. No one checks the grammar so probably dubious. But what amazes me is the number of times I still have to check exact meaning and spelling of words. George Bernard Shaw advocated review of spelling with a view to great simplification. It would dent the egos of the very able but with so much else to know nowadays seems an idea which should be revived. It might persuade even more of the world to adopt English. Meanwhile in this once progressive country, for career security all are now more or less obliged to learn a mostly recent contrived version of the native stone age language.....
Those enjoying this thread may also enjoy Bill Bryson’s Troublesome Words, I certainly did.