The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedants' Corner
Are there any Americans lurking in this  corner of pedantic grammatical correction?

...that would be "AWESOME"  Rolleyes

(Sorry).
Awesome? Awesome? That’s nothing, only a couple of days ago I overheard a young chap on his mobile ‘ ‘Really? Wow, man, that’s really uber-awesome.’
True satisfaction is the delayed fulfilment of ancient wish
A few years ago there was a noted boxer here who had spent much time mixing with his cultural associates so had picked up rap type language.. He gained fame by observing after some match. "It was O for awesome" !!
Tongue 
That would be David Tua picking a vowel on the NZ version of the TV show "Wheel of Fortune" to be pedantic....
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YaIZF8uUTtk
I mentioned time spent on an off shore island in the early 1970s. A couple running the accomodation where I stayed had moved there 20 or so years prior and retained  all the expressions current when they went there. To get a move on "rattle your dags". "What a dag" (character) "Corker" (notable),  " root", plus many from then  common use by maori and  purloining of now considered very non PC. "korero" protracted discussion, "taiho" later,  procrastination (a notable characteristic) "puckeroo" broken , "rangatira" influential boss man, and more which would get me excommunicated.
well myself for one are finding this thread super interesting, innit!
Enjoy yourself, it's later than you think!
Mention of the “ historic present” tense brought me to a rant while listening to “In our time” this morning. Someone was using it but kept slipping in and out during consecutive sentences. I find it irritating and another example of Americanisation of English but then, one often hears an American saying “ If I would have known” , a mixture of past and future conditional tenses rather than the concise and explicit “ Had I known “. Still, the more words you use must confer intellectual superiority I suppose.
As an aside, “In our time “ must be among the best of any broadcasting by the BBC, highly recommended and informative, recommended and all 1500+ editions are available on demand.
'Revert back' seems to be very much on trend Wink at the moment.  

Incidentally, if and when this thread fades into obscurity, you might like to try the 'One for the spelling police' thread on Pistonheads - 8,000+ posts over the past 10 years!
(01-12-2021, 09:31 PM)Ray White Wrote: Are there any Americans lurking in this  corner of pedantic grammatical correction?

...that would be "AWESOME"  Rolleyes

(Sorry).

We are long-term US residents, only lapsing into the local vernacular when appropriate,  y'all.
Then there's "login" as a verb...

And the extraordinary incapacity to distinguish between "woman" and "women" (no-one can tell me that one doesn't matter...)