The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedants' Corner
And another thing, why do we now speak of levveraging instead of prying or levering? I have never used a tyre levver but I do lever things.
I heard someone in a radio programme telling a tale of being stuck in a 'phone box and being unable to get any purchase to levverage herself out.
'Appen she were a bit plump?
You can't say plump any more. She or He would have been a person of a certain weight...
more than a certain weight  Big Grin
(01-12-2021, 12:07 PM)Reckless Rat Wrote: You can't say plump any more. She or He would have been a person of a certain weight...

Can't say he or she either!
Can’t say he or she? Time for an old Ray Davies track perhaps.

A Sevenist who scans the forum but does not contribute emails me to ask, did Henry’s picture a few days ago actually indicate the night club in Old Soho mentioned in the song?
(29-11-2021, 12:34 PM)Nick Salmon Wrote: I cannot abide the use of the word 'Hey' as the opening in a business email from a stranger. Whatever happened to 'Hello'?

"Hello" was originally an exclamation, e.g. an expression of surprise or to attract attention, so it is actually synonymous with "Hey". Thomas Edison used "Hello" as an opening for telephone conversations, which led to the use of the word as a salutation. Edison suggested that a call bell was unnecessary as "Hello!" could be heard at 20 feet. Alexander Graham Bell apparently favoured "Ahoy!", which I think I might use myself in future.

(29-11-2021, 02:12 PM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: I’d also love to know how to PREorder, PREbook, PREreserve, PREtin, and especially PREprepare
I just want to order, book, reserve, tin and prepare as all of these by their nature are done in advance so why the PREprefix?

I can understand pre-order for something not yet available, but pre-book irritates me as well. I used to ask if I pre-book would be notified when I can book? These days that just gets me blank looks.
Upon phoning a friend, his teenage son answered with, "Ugh". So I replied, "Ughhhm, ughhhh." He replied, "Ughhh?" to which I responded, "Ughhh? Ughhh? Ughhh?" he put the phone down. I rang again, this time enquiring, "Is that the Ughhh household?" - and he finally got the message.
(01-12-2021, 09:08 AM)Duncan Grimmond Wrote: And another thing, why do we now speak of levveraging instead of prying or levering? I have never used a tyre levver but I do lever things.
I heard someone in a radio programme telling a tale of being stuck in a 'phone box and being unable to get any purchase to levverage herself out.

American pronunciation. Here we have levvers, we sodder electrical connections, use wrenches not spanners, etc., etc.
Soddering elelectrical connections sounds a bit dodgy