The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.29 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pedants' Corner
One of the delights of the English language is the incredible variety of local accents. A French craftsman who worked with me for 13 could manage to understand everything except Birmingham, Newcastle and Aberdeen.
Prior to the demise of cotton mills in Lancashire, a noted professor of etymology was able to identify the street in Blackburn a speaker lived in as many neighbours worked in the same mill and had very specific dialect words associated with individual mills. Fascinating…

Just listened to the Cambridge pronunciation and that is the one I grew up with, or should I say up with which I grew?
Duncan.
Into the dunces' corner, go,you must.
Aww,Sir, must I?
What a wonderful thread!

I have noticed an increasing number of people, who really should know better using the words “somethink” and “anythink” and it drives me nuts...ah, that’s better I feel like a fully fledged grumpy old git now...
This thread is marvellous, or at least my wife thinks so as it saves her having to listen to me...
Aye Duncan, us Brummies speak proper, its you northerners what's failed to teach that frenchy complete.
Oi used to once was a stewnt in Brum in inuther loife, mey.
I broke my collar bone trials riding in a Midlands place called Lawa Gorn All or summat like that
(30-11-2021, 09:11 AM)Nick Lettington Wrote: Without knowing the story, whether one lover or two made the leap, I would suggest that you have punctuated it correctly. 

As with a few other things in life, "if in doubt, leave it out..."

Correct. It is left out by the owner - deliberately.

(30-11-2021, 11:13 AM)Colin Morgan Wrote: If it has a reputation as a lovers' leap then it has probably happened more than once?

That's a very good point indeed - but it only happened once.
For those that leaped, anyway.