The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do some sellers encourage buyers to destroy a good car?
(07-01-2021, 08:07 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: A properly sorted Ruby is an absolute joy - one which is not so, an utter disaster.

Proper Ruby restorations are amongst the most expensive and end up being, the least valuable - I doff my hat to those who rise to the challenge and put their money where their mouth is.

(07-01-2021, 08:49 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 08:26 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 07:07 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: If you don't know this garage - and I'm sure everyone does - here's a treat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIxlql0Ebnc

He refers to the Pursang car as a 'replica Type 35 Bugatti'. No it's not. I've lost count of the number of times Barry Clarke would correct us when such cars were referred to as as 'replicas'. He would insist that 'replicas' can only be made by the original manufacturer and what we should say is 'copy'. If you read Jenks' definition of the various terms he used for describing the provenance or otherwise of cars (Original, Genuine, Authentic, Resurrection, Re-construction, Facsimile, Special, Duplication, Destroyed, Scrapped, Broken Up, and Converted) he makes the same point. 

Steve

Exactly as original, except for that god awful looking distributor poking through the dash, the plain bearings and a different firing order.
Nothing major, because they left file marks on the inside of the bonnet.

c
A proper working magneto is extra - was it $10,000? - and an altered firing order is optional. As the sales chap said, you can have an exact copy (replica) as sold from the factory, or modified as you wish. You pays your money - and takes your choice. Personally, I'd go for two-stage supercharging, extra file marks on the inside of bonnet and a string-bound steering wheel (the original two-part steel and wood can flex and open slightly under high cornering loads and, if you're not wearing gloves, can trap you skin with interesting and painful consequences. Some time ago I came across chap making a copy of a straight eight Ballot racing engine. He told me that the customer's instruction was simple - if a little difficult to realise: "I want my original engine and the copy side by side - and I don't want to be able to tell which is which." The engine I saw nearly finished was a work of engineering art, even the sand-moulded crankcases looked identical as did all the small fittings, each "distressed" to look old. The cost? Rather a lot I would imagine - but what a wonderful job to have completed successfully.
The Grand Prix Bugatti is one of my dream cars, but even if I could afford it I wouldn't be buying a Pur Sang; what's the point when it is ineligible for Vintage events, and can't be registered for road use in the UK?
Nothing is impossible if you have a shed load of beer tokens. Even Bentley are at it with the "new" Blower Bentleys. Being a bit on the tight side I think I'd rather have something a bit less frivolous like the new three wheeler Morgan with the Harley engine. I bet that's a hoot, and a heck of a lot cheaper than even a pur sang 35. In the meantime I'll stick with the RP.

Jay Leno's collection is awesome, and at least he does 'use' his cars from time to time (or so he says).
(08-01-2021, 12:01 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 08:07 PM)Ruairidh Dunford Wrote: A properly sorted Ruby is an absolute joy - one which is not so, an utter disaster.

Proper Ruby restorations are amongst the most expensive and end up being, the least valuable - I doff my hat to those who rise to the challenge and put their money where their mouth is.

(07-01-2021, 08:49 PM)Charles P Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 08:26 PM)Steve Jones Wrote:
(07-01-2021, 07:07 PM)Tony Griffiths Wrote: If you don't know this garage - and I'm sure everyone does - here's a treat: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIxlql0Ebnc

He refers to the Pursang car as a 'replica Type 35 Bugatti'. No it's not. I've lost count of the number of times Barry Clarke would correct us when such cars were referred to as as 'replicas'. He would insist that 'replicas' can only be made by the original manufacturer and what we should say is 'copy'. If you read Jenks' definition of the various terms he used for describing the provenance or otherwise of cars (Original, Genuine, Authentic, Resurrection, Re-construction, Facsimile, Special, Duplication, Destroyed, Scrapped, Broken Up, and Converted) he makes the same point. 

Steve

Exactly as original, except for that god awful looking distributor poking through the dash, the plain bearings and a different firing order.
Nothing major, because they left file marks on the inside of the bonnet.

c
A proper working magneto is extra - was it $10,000? - and an altered firing order is optional. As the sales chap said, you can have an exact copy (replica) as sold from the factory, or modified as you wish. You pays your money - and takes your choice. Personally, I'd go for two-stage supercharging, extra file marks on the inside of bonnet and a string-bound steering wheel (the original two-part steel and wood can flex and open slightly under high cornering loads and, if you're not wearing gloves, can trap you skin with interesting and painful consequences. Some time ago I came across chap making a copy of a straight eight Ballot racing engine. He told me that the customer's instruction was simple - if a little difficult to realise: "I want my original engine and the copy side by side - and I don't want to be able to tell which is which." The engine I saw nearly finished was a work of engineering art, even the sand-moulded crankcases looked identical as did all the small fittings, each "distressed" to look old. The cost? Rather a lot I would imagine - but what a wonderful job to have completed successfully.

$5,500 for the mag (£4K).
Trivial really if you have $250K to spend on a toy.  

None of this means that I wouldn't love to drive one, if anyone is offering. 

c
Charles P Wrote:
None of this means that I wouldn't love to drive one, if anyone is offering.

I drove an Argentinian built Bugatti, briefly, in 2007. Probably made two or three years before so an early car. It was awful and nothing like a genuine Bugatti should be. It made the wrong noise, handled badly with vague steering, poor brakes and a very notchy gearbox that needed fighting with. The engine would also stop for no reason every now and then. There's a lot more of them around now so no doubt they've got better but in contrast I've also ridden in (but not driven) a genuine Type 51. That was sublime.

Steve
Reckless Rat said

Being a bit on the tight side I think I'd rather have something a bit less frivolous like the new three wheeler Morgan with the Harley engine.

I think you'd probably regret the M3W. The SS engine is a bike one designed ti pull a chain sound a sprocket and has no thrust bearing on the crankshaft. Turn it through 90* and the main beating takes every clutch and gearbox shock, but that's all right, they found out the hard way and so put a Cush drive into the train.
There is no space for luggage or even a bit of shopping. Unless you're a slim build the seats will be too tight.
I went on a factory tour just as they were launching it and came to the conclusion that they couldn't pay me enough to take one away.

I'm sure there are several satisfied owners who want impractical unreliable and expensive toys. I gather there are more low mileage ones on dealers' forecourts than there are on the road
Jaded, moi?
Stick to your seven!
Tanya's cousin and her husband bought a brand new one of those specifically to drive across America in. They had numerous problems with it including the rubber drive couplings breaking up - these were not available in America despite the Harley engine. A lot of waiting around occurred on the journey and they sold it as soon as the trip was completed.
That's another one of my dreams shattered!
If I'd known, you could most likely have got it (very) cheap!
If I'm honest I actually like the TriKing better, the one with the Moto Guzzi engine, which I think uses the whole engine/transmission from the bike, but I have been instructed by the Mem'Sahib that my toy shed is closed to any new acquisitions, sadly, or I would have squeezed in a minor project (with a capital M).