The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
(20-10-2024, 09:01 AM)Howard Wright Wrote:
(20-10-2024, 08:44 AM)Charles P Wrote: Nice work Howard. I haven’t done this mod so defer to Robert.
If you’d silver soldered the neck to the patch before soft soldering the patch……. But that’s not helpful, is it?

Thanks Charles,

Hindsight is a wonderful thing!  I guess I could just unsolder the patch, silver solder the neck then re solder the patch, although it’s never as neat as when first done.

Cheers

Howard

The next best thing is possibly to silver solder a “mini patch” to the neck and then solder the whole lot on. An extra 5/16 of contact area would probably be of help with a soft soldered joint
Thanks Charles

That is what I will do!

Cheers

Howard
I'd avoid silver soldering after soft soldering. Unless you completely remove all the soft solder the lead content is likely to attack the brass at silver soldering temperature.
Hi Robert, Charles and Duncan

Thank all.  I made up a flange and silver soldered that to the neck (no soft solder on either piece).

.jpeg   IMG_4594.jpeg (Size: 128.08 KB / Downloads: 168)

Then soft soldered that to the radiator.  I don’t think anyone is going to congratulate me on my soldering this time but it seems strong and leak free.

.jpeg   IMG_4595.jpeg (Size: 112 KB / Downloads: 167)

Once again thanks for all your help.

Cheers

Howard
Good work Howard
Your soldering looks just like mine Howard!
Hi All

Looks better with a coat of paint. TBH you won’t see it under the cowl!

Cheers

Howard
That's better, good work never to be seen again and leak free.
The morning here is the fastnesses of North Wales was atrocious, but the weather (which comes whether you like it or not) abated somewhat this afternoon with patchy sunshine even. So, having had to pull the Seven out of the garage to do some work to one of Leon's projects, we decided to give the Seven a run over to minister to the horse and thence to visit our friends in Llandderfel. Nothing else to report, really, although the little car really doesn't like the windy weather! Young Leon drove on the way there and made all sorts of wry comments on the Seven's handling in such conditions: and this from a lad who likes driving a Series Landrover!
Hi David

If Leon thinks an RP is affected by side winds he should try a C Cab van! Much less weight and much more windward area!

Cheers

Howard