The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Yesterday was spectating at Ralph's Cider, watching the VSCC Welsh Trial. No clearer indication of the Austin Seven as the finest competition car ever made, at least fifty Sevens entered. Just one photo taken of a random few of the hordes of Sevens. I can only think that the VSCC must have last year's entry on their web site. The driver in car no 163 is certainly not Nigel Coulter, often accompanied by David Cochrane on such outings, and no 168 is not an Ulster. Maybe someone has an accurate entry list. Hmm, that was posted before completion, never mind, just call out Bravo Sevens, show the lesser marques how to get up hills!

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

(13-10-2024, 03:08 PM)Steve kay Wrote: ... No clearer indication of the Austin Seven as the finest competition car ever made, at least fifty Sevens entered... 

The Seven is, indeed, a superb trials car, but more particularly it's perfect for today's VSCC trials; it wasn't always the case. Fifty years ago the car of choice was a 30/98 Vauxhall or Meadows-engined Frazer Nash, or maybe a 12/50 Alvis.
Agree - The Austin 7 is a great trials car, but you can't get better than 3 grandchildren wanting to go to a Pumpkin farm in the 'funny car'.

Dingo has given so many people, so much pleasure over the years - and it continues to do so. Me included.

Attached Files
.jpg   Dingo and happy kids.jpg (Size: 125 KB / Downloads: 127)
Hi Steve and Mike

I think it does depend on conditions!  Today for example at Cwmwhitton the big Ford A’s seem to be clearing hills better than the lighter Sevens.  I know two contenders for the top spot both run Model A specials and both had a clear round over the weekend.

But some cars are there just to have fun such as this DeHaviland engined GN!

.jpeg   IMG_4550.jpeg (Size: 174.53 KB / Downloads: 132)

Now quiz of the week why should I include this car on an Austin Seven forum?  It is not a special and was built in 1924.  

.jpeg   IMG_4571.jpeg (Size: 170.77 KB / Downloads: 133)

Cheers

Howard

PS Great to meet up with other forumistas!

PPS Did my stint as a scruitineer yesterday and had the fortune to inspect a beautiful Bugatti Brescia.
The cheeky answer would be the Austin 7 connection is that has Barrie Clarke’s fingerprints all over it.
(13-10-2024, 04:28 PM)Charles P Wrote: The cheeky answer would be the Austin 7 connection is that has Barrie Clarke’s fingerprints all over it.

Wrong, but you know that.  Barry wasn’t around in 1924!

Cheers

Howard
He wasn’t but Godfrey and Proctor were.
Alan Fairless
Howard, perhaps the spread of out of date entry lists has distributed unusual info. Messrs Godfrey and Proctor were not exactly manufacturers, and are you sure they built any cars in 1924? The dubious entry I downloaded lists Jane Tomlinson as no 167, the Godfrey Proctor Sports as "mod" from 1928. "Not a special, gov, absolutely original, just like the day it left the factory in Richmond, honest." Well it doesn't have a Cirrus engine in it. Maybe the car has been re-dated since last year, I think we should be told!
(13-10-2024, 04:58 PM)Steve kay Wrote: Howard, perhaps the spread of out of date entry lists has distributed unusual info. Messrs Godfrey and Proctor were not exactly manufacturers, and  are you sure they built any cars in 1924? The dubious entry I downloaded lists Jane Tomlinson as no 167, the Godfrey Proctor Sports as "mod" from 1928.  "Not a special, gov, absolutely original, just like the day it left the factory in Richmond, honest." Well it doesn't have a Cirrus engine in it. Maybe the car has been re-dated since last year, I think we should be told!

Correct Alan and Steve.

Yes it is a Godfrey and Proctor.  1924 is incorrect…..sorry.  The car is most likely pre 1928 judging by a bacon slicer starter but that too could be a mod?

For those not in the know Godfrey (later of HRG fame) constructed about ten of these with his business partner Proctor.  It has a GN chassis with Seven running gear.

Cheers

Howard
Stuart Proctor was also of HRG. He was technical director from I think 1950
Alan Fairless