The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ulster "replica" ...a perfection-led copy?
And a trailer and a moderate size motorhome to take it to competitions. Wrong sort of Tamworth engine to go up hills very fast. Now, drop in a V6 Essex with 40DCOE and Don Pither bunch of banana exhaust manifolds....
I agree with Howard. I could live with the guards but not the running boards [uphill?] The position of the headlights offends me and have they got brewers droop? The bonnet should be kept shut but not with those awful kitchen type clips Otherwise ....mmm
Having an Ulster Rep, and having sold a genuine car and still have #125(with some original body parts) I have some observations about how many differences there are with Reps, even if they are built well. The roll around the cockpits always seems to be too narrow on the cars I've seen. Of course we know tail tops varied, flatter or arched. The CC body on my Rep, built circa 1990 or so, had the tunnel too narrow by 1/2". That is now rectified with a new, wider tunnel. My Rep as built in the 90's also has its body back a bit so the mounts on either side of and at the front of the tunnel point backwards, rather than forwards as would be correct. The body is back about 1 inch. Of course, with a genuine engine having taller feet both front and rear, the Rep body builders have to contend with the fact that the Reps will all have standard A7 engine feet height. The car mentioned...the rad, wiring, what else? A bit of dog's dinner certainly. At 34,000 is he dreaming or have values gone up recently?
A genuine Austin Seven sports of any flavour still manages good money, from what I’ve seen, but specials such as this? Well, the value is in the eye of the beholder…say ten grand tops?
Unless I'm seeing things isn't that an 'A' series engine under the bonnet? Perhaps they've got the decimal place wrong on the price...

[Image: 1931-austin-ulster-special-true-replica-...42bbbfaeaf]
I think it’s a Reliant Bruce…but I agree with you regarding the decimal point!
(12-10-2024, 06:10 PM)Erich Wrote: ... or have values gone up recently?

LJ 4831 which featured in period photos in Association Mag 2021B sold at auction recently for £38k including fees - an original and authentic car with its original 10-stud engine as well as the original body, albeit now painted black.

Hi

Looks like a 1970's Reliant 748 cc OHV engine to me, should be good for about 30 BHP. The carb looks like it might get a bit toasted by the exhaust manifold, but maybe that's not a Reliant setup.

I think it's a nice looking car which has clearly taken plenty of effort to build. With a bit of tidying it could be great fun. Only issue is the price, I guess the seller isn't clued up on the gulf between values for genuine cars and replicas. No doubt the price will eventually change to the point where supply matches demand......
(12-10-2024, 08:17 PM)John Cornforth Wrote: Hi

Looks like a 1970's Reliant 748 cc OHV engine to me, should be good for about 30 BHP.  The carb looks like it might get a bit toasted by the exhaust manifold, but maybe that's not a Reliant setup.

I think it's a nice looking car which has clearly taken plenty of effort to build.  With a bit of tidying it could be great fun.  Only issue is the price, I guess the seller isn't clued up on the gulf between values for genuine cars and replicas.  No doubt the price will eventually change to the point where supply matches demand......

But without that AI produced b*ll sh*t on how original.
Mike, that LJ 4831 is the one I bought from Murray Smith in Connecticut and sold at auction to Walter Heale a year ago. I had hoped to get more for it as I paid slightly less than that and had to ship it back to the UK with a GE Stadium I also bought from Smith. The Stadium, a very original car is now with David Mawby.

Interestingly, the hand tinted photo you posted is what finally convinced me to paint my other Ulster #125, in the Primrose and Green.

Erich in Mukilteo