The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Sliced a block in half, as you do.
Useful to get the exact topography. 
This was a late 30's block that split under duress a few years ago, causing mayhem. 
The bores are +60 so it's instructive to see how much metal is available to go further. Not very much in my book.

Those waterways are amongst the cleanest I’ve seen!
(01-10-2024, 02:42 PM)Ivor Hawkins Wrote: Those waterways are amongst the cleanest I’ve seen!

It surprised me too. I was expecting much worse but the cooling system had been flushed through with hot Fernox DS3 descaler a couple of times, which probably helped

Charles
Managed to bore one out to 60 mm once and not porous ran great for about 150 miles then started letting in water,when dismantled the wall had split.It was about 1/2mm thick.
Interesting, isn't it. I had a three bearing engine in the Cabriolet that I ran for many thousands of miles which was bored to +.080" and never gave any trouble. Pure chance or a different mould giving thicker cylinder walls?
(02-10-2024, 07:38 AM)Hugh Barnes Wrote: Interesting, isn't it. I had a three bearing engine in the Cabriolet that I ran for many thousands of miles which was bored to +.080" and never gave any trouble. Pure chance or a different mould giving thicker cylinder walls?

I would say pure chance - from what I hear for everyone claiming a successful 80 thou overbore there a number of blocks that give a problem. 

But go ahead  and try - you could be lucky