The following warnings occurred:
Warning [2] Undefined variable $search_thread - Line: 60 - File: showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code PHP 8.1.30 (Linux)
File Line Function
/inc/class_error.php 153 errorHandler->error
/showthread.php(1617) : eval()'d code 60 errorHandler->error_callback
/showthread.php 1617 eval

Thread Rating:
  • 28 Vote(s) - 3.32 Average
What have you done today with your Austin Seven
Hi Ruaridh

I’ve ordered a H/C gasket following this advice from Dave Dye in a post on the forum in 2020.

Cheers

Howard

17-09-2020, 11:45 AM
I have used both gaskets,early and late. Personally prefer to use the late one.
The centre stud is a bit of a worry as this is where the block can crack in 3 directions,to the water hole and 2 -3 cylinders especially on a linered block.
In saying that I used a block like that until while the engine was stored dry it got frost damaged at the front corner ??
Lay a L/C and H/C on the face of the head and post the photos up.
Hi Ruairidh 

As requested.  I think I see your point.  The LC gasket is a better fit to the chamber and gives more meat around the waterway holes.

Cheers

Howard

Attached Files
.jpeg   IMG_4487.jpeg (Size: 104.7 KB / Downloads: 329)
.jpeg   IMG_4486.jpeg (Size: 106.56 KB / Downloads: 331)
I've used both types of gasket with copy Ricardo heads and found that the L/C works the best. The only failure I've had was when using a H/C gasket.

Steve
With reference to cylinder head leaking, I have an experience that may be relevant.
After the recent overhaul of my Ruby engine and following some miles of running and 3 episodes of retightening of the cylinder head nuts, water and gas was bubbling out around the centre studs. These were new studs screwed into the block with sealant and new nuts. Replacing the gasket didn't fix the leakage.
A VAR  member with long experience of Austin Sevens advised me that the new nuts could be the cause. He has had similar leakage and resolved it by using taller nuts of the size that are used on the block to crankcase studs. His theory is that the taller nuts have more threads in contact with the stud threads and therefore are less stressed.
I have fitted the taller nuts and covered 200 miles now without leakage.
Hi Steve and Graham

Thanks for the observations.

Steve I’ve ordered one of the last L/C gaskets our cherished suppliers seem to have!

Graham, that’s interesting. In my case the leak was inside the head and not up the studs. I had exactly your situation with my special, solved by sealant under the head nut washer (not ideal but it has lasted 7000 miles).

Cheers

Howard
Hi All

With the Green van being persona non grata we took the Special to some hills we hadn’t visited before. Super views over Llandrindod and Bannau Brycheiniog.  

.jpeg   IMG_4506.jpeg (Size: 111.13 KB / Downloads: 203)

Did a bit of Green Lane-ing on the way back… OK but too many gates and cow poo on the road, wheels, mudguards and my back!

.jpeg   IMG_4509.jpeg (Size: 180.53 KB / Downloads: 202)

Cheers

Howard

A hillclimb that stayed dry, a day when not a single Seven left the track. A day when the sun shone and steam could be seen and heard on the Glos and Warks,  autumnal Prescott at its best.  Sevens were scattered about the paddock so not a very good line up. Maybe someone has better pictures.
I remember the days when I used to have a foot on each front mudguard and a rope around my neck to pull the engine out…it would be out and on the bench in an hour.

Now, fifty years later, it takes me nearly all day and I need a quiet lie down!

Froze my nuts off today trying to free the engine on this nice Ruby      . It wasn't made easy by having a late HC head, I've put a good dose of release oil in each cylinder and will leave it a week while the garage key holder is away.